IGNORED

Fuel Pump Points

To try to resolve an intermittent pump problem, I took some advice and cleaned the points. The points looked to be in good condition so I lightly sanded the surfaces and sprayed with contact cleaner. Then, with the cover off, I used the pump to pump gas into a container while I observed. I worked correctly for most of the tests but, when it didn't, it seemed like the points remained in contact with each other and the pump would cease operation. I am attaching pictures and a video. The video was taken while the pump was pumping into a gas container and turning the key on until it timed out and doing it again. I did this many more times but didn't film it all but couldn't catch it not operating.

The way I believe they are supposed to work is one point is attached to a fixture that moves and engages the other point when the chamber has been pumped out which energizes a coil and pulls a plunger filling the chamber with fuel. On the return stroke, a spring pushes fuel from the chamber to the carbs. Once the chamber is empty, the points engage and the process repeats.

On my pump, when the points do not disengage, the voltage drops and nothing happens. Until, after some period of time or other event, it will resume operating and work fine for some period of time until the next event.

Should I do anything else to try to adjust the points or is it another part of the pump causing this to happen? I am attaching some pictures. IMG_1189 (1280x960).jpgIMG_1190 (1280x960) (2).jpg

Here's a video of when it was operating properly I think:

Edited by Donvito
added video

Not completly sure, but I think the pump control relay has a timer of sorts built into it so it just dont run and run and let the pump eventualy overheat.

You are right. There is a timer in the relay that will shut off power to the pump until the engine is running then power is restored. I am aware of that and it isn't my problem. But, thanks for the info.

Did you try to move the points closer together when it quit. You could also try to run the pump straight from the battery to see if that changes anything. I did have a realy go bad once, but after dropping it, it seemed to have got the message to not ever do that again. Careful if you run it direct, the pump will not accommodate reverse polarity.

Did you try to move the points closer together when it quit. You could also try to run the pump straight from the battery to see if that changes anything. I did have a realy go bad once, but after dropping it, it seemed to have got the message to not ever do that again. Careful if you run it direct, the pump will not accommodate reverse polarity.

Thanks. I have run the pump by bypassing the relay and the same issue will occur so I'm pretty sure the problem's in the pump. It seems like the cut off switch won't engage sometimes. The only test in the manual is to apply 12 volts directly to the pump and replace if faulty. So, I guess there is no way to test the solenoid coil. Is there an adjustment for the points? I have another pump on order so I'll see if that fixes the problem. Of course, my pump has been working perfectly for the past week.

Adjuzting the points might give you more grief than what you are trying to fix.

Yup would have to say its 50-50 @ best. Lot of factors, like type of metal the points are made out of as to weather they will "take" to stay adjusted. Or if it might just wealen the metal and then they move on thier own. Shoot if the orginal lasted this long and is going out, you got a new pump comming. I think you will probably be good for ahile. Now the second gens being problematic with pumps. Thats why when I thought mine was giving me problems @ 30k something I went solid state and figure how to get around mounting etc.