IGNORED

Scam at Rest Area.

Yama Mama

I am relating a story that happened to my first husband as we were going home Sunday. I am telling this to basically warn everyone not to fall for this. We had just pulled into a parking spot at a rest area below Columbus. A trucker walked over from the truck area and started a conversation which appeared to be normal. He asked Ron if we had been at a biker event. Since we get these kind of questions all the time, it was not unusual. The trucker then says, a guy won a new Harley and he wanted to show it to Ron. So during this time, I tell Ron I am going on into the restroom. When I returned Ron was no where to be seen. I figured he was still in the restroom. I waited probably 15 minutes. All of a sudden Ron comes from the truck area. He says he just experienced a scam. When he walked over to the trucks to see the supposed Harley, there were 3 or 4 truckers kneeling down on the pavement. They invited Ron to play a card game. Pick the red card out of three cards. The guy had several hundred dollar bills in his hand. He told Ron to pick a card and handed him the hundred dollar bills and which card to pick. Ron did what he said, and handed him the money. They asked Ron how much money he had. Ron said he only had credit cards. They said they were going to the next rest area and he could stop and get some money and follow them there. Ron was amazed at this. I was upset. I told him he could have been hit over the head, robbed and thrown in the truck and I would have been standing there waiting for him to show back up with an overloaded motorcycle that I can not drive.

Watch out for this when you stop. I do not know if this was a unique scam or something that is commonly done. Either way, I think it was pretty scarey.

Yama Mama

It is called "Three Card Monte"

It is called "Three Card Monte" and is as old as the hills. Once they get you playing they let you win some then palm the winning card and you start loosing. A common variation is to use three walnut shells and a pea.

I heard of that game before. It was the way he lured him to go behind the trucks. If I were Ron and I saw those three other men there, I think I would have turned around and go back. They could have jumped him.

Yama Mama

Should of dialed 911 and turned in a robbery/abduction attempt!! That "stop and pick up some money and follow us" routine has landed more than one low life behind bars.. Goofy scammers drive me crazy!

Thanks for letting us know about all of this Mama!! Glad it all worked out and you folks didnt lose any cash,, or worse!!

I trust nobody anymore. Especially on the road. You want me to see your bike? Bring it over here, otherwise, no thanks.

Yes, you are right about that. We are not on the road much. But after this episode I think it woke us up a bit.

Yama Mama

Ron's a braver man than me! I'm not going any where with any body that approaches me at a rest area. Secondly I put my trust in two friends when I am on the road and you don't want to meet either of them.

kickshot