IGNORED

Did I do the right thing?

A good friend of mine owns an 83 Venture. As most of us with 1st editions, he has a real problem starting his 83 when it is hot. Hell, it does not turn over very well when cold. So today I purchased a starter for him from an 09 Yamaha venture royal star. It is of course a four brush unit and is much newer. I've read here that tthis starter will fit his 83. Is this correct. I plan to upgrade his battery cables to the, and again, please correct me if I am wrong, 8 guage cables. We will have to make our own since I do not see where anyone is fabricating battery cables anymore. However, if anyone has a set of the upgraded cables and is willing to part with them, please let me know. I'll gladly pay to take them off your hands.

Semper Fi

Herb

My 85 Vmax has similar problems, i added an additional 6 gauge wire from the starter mount bolt back to the negative terminal of the Odyssey PC680 battery. But i kept the two pole starter but did an improved ground internally, works every time now, hot or cold. I soldered the tangs on the brush plate to give more contact area. Filed them flat but higher than original.

Yes it will fit and check with Dingy about the cables that is who I bought mine from.

:sign yeah that:

Dingy was making the cables out of 4 AWG Welding wire. That alone helps a lot. The 4 brush starter alone helps a lot. Together they are great.

As for the battery, I also put an AGM battery in my bike and it did crank faster, and it died after just 18 months. I'm going back to an Yuasa, they always last me 5 or 6 years and get the job done.

The 4 brush starter will spin your motor fast and for a long time even if your battery is just OK after years of fighting this I was amazed. I just bought the upgraded Battery cables from Dingy last month he might still have some they were well made and soft bendable cable so they were easy to install

I bought my cables from Dingy as well.....excellent fit and very well made!

This is my observation....for my situation cable install could not have been easier, because I had all the plastics off the bike at the time. It made following wire paths and snipping cable ties super easy. The second thing is, before I purchased my AMG battery I was using jumper cables attached to my minivan (van was NOT running....of course), and when the engine was hot with the 2 brush starter it turned the engine pretty slowly. Since I've installed my new bike battery ETX18L about $85 from O'Reilly (list for them is around $100, but if you know how to negotiate with them, you can get it down some), hot or cold you could not tell the difference!

The 4 brush starter will spin your motor fast and for a long time even if your battery is just OK after years of fighting this I was amazed. I just bought the upgraded Battery cables from Dingy last month he might still have some they were well made and soft bendable cable so they were easy to install

My experience is that the difference between the original and 4 pole starter is simply amazing. I noticed virtually no difference with my cable upgrades but the 4 pole starter - WOW. It?s also a straight bolt in place deal.