IGNORED

K&N air filters

I run K&N rechargeable air filters on my 2nd Gen RSV and I clean them out twice a year (end of riding season and again mid way through the next). I've always noticed that the only spot that gets grey or dirty is at the spot where the air enters the filter pod. The rest of the filter is still looking clean and red / pink from the oil, almost like new. It seems at times like perhaps I'm cleaning them out more often than I really need to..

Thoughts on this?

I run them in my RSV and used them for year on my dune buggies with pre-filter covers. I'm of the opinion that you are WAY over doing it on the cleaning. K&N's filter better when they are somewhat dirtier. I check mine every year but on average only clean them every other year. If you run a lot of dirt/dusty roads they may need cleaning more often.

Seaking, I run a K&N in my 1st gen. Being from Arizona, I figured I would clean the filter once at end of riding season (June) and that should last me the year. Since I rarely ride in summer when the dust storms and monsoons are having fun with us...I really don't hit much dust at all. Clean air down here in Southern AZ!

I run K&N rechargeable air filters on my 2nd Gen RSV and I clean them out twice a year (end of riding season and again mid way through the next). I've always noticed that the only spot that gets grey or dirty is at the spot where the air enters the filter pod. The rest of the filter is still looking clean and red / pink from the oil, almost like new. It seems at times like perhaps I'm cleaning them out more often than I really need to..

Thoughts on this?

I got the same thing with my K&N's, just dirty on that small spot on end.

I opened up the inlet 50% by putting a diamond shaped inlet in so the air can get down the sides and also installing one size larger slow jets.

Overall better performance IMO. Just breaths better and the filters get dirty in a much broader pattern. Clean once a year.

Thoughts on this?

I have a buddy that works in R&D at K&N... he tells me NOT to over clean them. That they actually work better when the get some dirt in them. I clean the filter in my truck about every year and a half and never had an issue.