IGNORED

No Brake Lights...West Texas Winds

I'm posting this for another member West Texas Winds. He posted in the Metzler update thread and I thought I'd move it to a better location so it will give it more exposure. Here's what he posted:

Somebody please help me I have checked all the switches I have teail lights but know brake lights Have i missed something All help is greatly aprensioned

Thanks West Texas Winds

I sent him a PM but I didn't know he had an 87 and I gave advice for the 2nd gens.

Can anyone help him out?

He's already a member "West Texas Winds". He just posted this in a different forum and I thought I'd put it where it has more visibility and more help than I can be.

I've already sent him a PM asking him some questions and, hopefully giving a few suggestions.

Well, this is what I would do. Take out the bulb. Use a multimeter set for 15vdc and while the + lead touching the little brass connection and the - is clipped to ground, have someone step on brake. If I got a reading, then I would replace the bulb and see what happens. No reading, then I would remove seat and find the nearest connection and take it apart and check there. If it gets a reading there then I would clean the connection, put back together and see if it lights up. If so, problem solved, if no reading, go to next connection and so on. If I got a reading at first connection and bulb don't light up after cleaning then the problem has to be between the connection and bulb and I would inspect the wire, the ground and even the socket for some sort of problem.

Ok I have checked the bulbs Checked both switches All ok I have started working backwards Towards the switches he switches I found a green plug behind the left side fairing It is not plug into anything and it traces out to the bulb side

And Thank you again gibviel for you time to post this in the right place for me

Dean