IGNORED

92 getting close to being done Cruise question

Finally getting my 92 on the road bought it 1 1/2 years ago. Had set for 5 years TCI was the problem got one from Dingy. Removed trunk put on shorty back rest put on Harley mufflers wich was already drilled out sounds good! Did some custom fairing work with black plexiglass took out cb and radio wich weighed 11 pounds! Kept air ride controll on right side added a round Bluetooth marine radio on left with new speakers. Cut windshield down 4inches. Would like to get cruise working when I push power button resume light comes on and stays on but the set light never comes on. I have read about all posts on cruise problems. I have cleaned switch at handle bar lengthened clutch switch spring both brake lights work properly and all fuses ok. When Side stand switch is down it displays on dash and warning light blinks but engine doesn't die when put in gear could this be related?

Usually, when the resume light is lit but one is unable to set the cruise it is due to either clutch lever switch, brake lever switch, rear brake pedal switch or wiring to and from these switches.

Insure that the plunger within the lever switches (especially the clutch lever switch) is free and extending fully when the levers are at rest.

Disassemble and clean the lever switches.

Make sure there are no open or shorted wires on these switches.

Have you checked the service manual and follow the troubleshooting guide in there yet? I would also check and make sure the vacuum line between the cruise control unit and the vacuum pump is ok and able to hold vacuum. If it isn't I don't believe that you can not get an actual set for the cruise control to reference. Section 7-133 references the Cruise Control System and I believe you can still download the service manual from the library section.

Good luck

Rick F.

I have cleaned switch at handle bar lengthened clutch switch spring both brake lights work properly and all fuses ok. When Side stand switch is down it displays on dash and warning light blinks but engine doesn't die when put in gear could this be related?

Yes this could be related.

Take apart the clutch switch and clean the contacts. Also make sure that the switch is able to move freely its full distance.