IGNORED

New Spark Plugs

OK guys, your 2 cents worth. I have read the previous threads,2011/12 and wanted to get feedback on what you use. I have seen Amazon selling Brisk plugs for 17.00 and folks talking NKG Iridium or not. Any suggestions? I ride a 2003 30,000 milse and we are doing a full valve carb sync carb float clutch upgrade in a week.

I am very happy with the Iridium's. They hold the gap very well. I haven't had a fouled plug with them.

Not a cheap plug, but much longer life and knowing they are not prone to fouling is worth it to me.

There are other plugs out there that are non-conventional, but ineffective in my experience. Spitfires are one, cryogenic treated another.

Gary

My experience with NGK Iridiums is, they last 30-40 k miles but also cost about 4 times as much.

They don't perform "better", as far as HP or better mileage.

So, advantage is if you don't like pulling wrenches, changing plugs is far in between.

That said, on one of my Royals when I changed plugs after 30-40 k miles, I noted that,, oops,, they weren't the Iridiums. Just regulars.

So, advantage,,,, price.

I am very happy with the Iridium's. They hold the gap very well. I haven't had a fouled plug with them.

Not a cheap plug, but much longer life and knowing they are not prone to fouling is worth it to me.

There are other plugs out there that are non-conventional, but ineffective in my experience. Spitfires are one, cryogenic treated another.

Gary

Great! Now you tell me! I just put those cryogenic plugs in yesterday. :doh:

My last bike, I ran the original plugs past 90,000 miles with no problems. I put in NGK Iridiums, and found it was slightly easier to start. No fuel mileage advantage, no hp gains. BUT, I have read testimonies that say that the easier starting was not only a big plus, but saves your starter....much harder to replace than plugs. My next set, expensive or not, will be iridiums.

Dan

I'm not expecting to much from them Gary. I thought I would run them for the season and swap them out next spring before I put her back on the road. But never know, I may have to pull them sooner or maybe much later. Either way It's for the kids. :happy34:

My last bike, I ran the original plugs past 90,000 miles with no problems. I put in NGK Iridiums, and found it was slightly easier to start. No fuel mileage advantage, no hp gains. BUT, I have read testimonies that say that the easier starting was not only a big plus, but saves your starter....much harder to replace than plugs. My next set, expensive or not, will be iridiums.

Dan

Is it posible that fresh standard ngk's would have the same effect? It was 90K after all.

Dan

Is it posible that fresh standard ngk's would have the same effect? It was 90K after all.

Of course! A fresh set of "any plugs", may have had the same effect. I have no scientific way of determining if one is better than the other.

I ran those iridium plugs another 30k miles before selling the bike, and it ran well when I sold it.

I believe, that iridiums may be better, but certainly not any worse than standard plugs.

On that one item, that you replace only once every few years, I'll pay the extra 30 bucks or so and buy the premium plugs.

This is based not only on my experiences, but with other testimonies that state that starting is easier. I have heard others say that they had an increase in fuel mileage, also.

It is one of those things that may boil down to "personal preference".

• 2 months later...

A few weeks ago I bought the Iridium plugs and put them in. It actually seems to be running a different in a bad way. Is it possible that is happening because a the gap on a plug(or more) might be off? I never set the gap because I thought they came already set. I know you may want more info on how its running worse. Can't really explain it. It's just one of those things you can tell something is off a little bit. Only happened after the plug change.

Thanks for any help on this

A few weeks ago I bought the Iridium plugs and put them in. It actually seems to be running a different in a bad way. Is it possible that is happening because a the gap on a plug(or more) might be off? I never set the gap because I thought they came already set. I know you may want more info on how its running worse. Can't really explain it. It's just one of those things you can tell something is off a little bit. Only happened after the plug change.

Thanks for any help on this

iridium plugs will not make it run worse. Make sure you didn't drop a plug and crack it. Make sure you have the correct plugs. And as suggested check the wires and caps.

Mike