IGNORED

After market seats for RSTD

I am 6ft2 260 and would like a more comfortible seat for my 2006 RSTD if their is one availibe.I have looked at Mustang seats but do you really get more comfort for the money.I would like to ride 3 hours witout my a$$ going numb.Suggestions would be appreciated.I like the looks of the Corbin but I heard they are rather firm.:cool10:

RoadWarrior;

I can't tell you what aftermarket seat to buy, because I haven't tried any. but, I do have this soft bottom gel pad. Mine is the double thickness touring cushion. I have ridden my 07 rstd for long distances and have no problems. there is no vibrations when using this pad. here is a link.

http://www.geltechnology.com/

They aren't cheap but alot less than a new seat that you may not be happy with.

JIm Bell

Lexington, Ky

Guest JGorom

Initially I put a Mustang studded seat on my 2005 RSTD and did not like it so I sold it immediately. The problem I found with the Mustang was that it pushed/moved my boys forward/closer to the gas tank giving me less room than with the stock Yamaha.

I then went to the Yamaha studded solo (which is a Corbin) which was firmer than the stock RSTD seat but basically the same size.

Being a big man I would definitely stay away from the Mustang seat as it will give you less room than the stock. The Yamaha studded is basically the same size as the stock but it is quite a bit firmer.

I know others have tried some other brands so maybe some of them can offer up their own comments here as well.

Hope you find what you need...

Never tried these but I have heard they are really great.

http://www.therohostore.com/Departments/Comfort-Products/AIRHAWK-Motorcycle-Seat-Cushions.aspx?gclid=CMD-tMGosJICFQQBswodX0fVRQ

I have used the gel pads before and they do work good for awhile, but they tend to retain heat/cold for a LOOOONNNNGGG time. Part of Monkey Butt is your back side sweating.

Initially I put a Mustang studded seat on my 2005 RSTD and did not like it so I sold it immediately. The problem I found with the Mustang was that it pushed/moved my boys forward/closer to the gas tank giving me less room than with the stock Yamaha....

JGorom is correct on this. I kept my mustang seat though. I am a big guy (6'4") and find the Mustang seat gives me all day comfort, HOWEVER, I had to add a sheepskin pad that is apprx 1 1/4 inches thick. The pad brought the seat height up and lets me scoot back just a bit. My pad is a combination of regular and memory foam with a sheapskin cover. It works fine for me. See if you can sit on one before you buy. Your results may vary....

Guest Coasty

Interesting topic. I too am looking for a different seat. Just purchased a 05' RSTD with stock seat. I had a Mustang seat on my previous bike (05 Boulevard C50T) and loved it. Was thinking of going with another Mustang because I liked the other one so well. I'm 5'9'' 190 so not a size issue as some riders.

Interesting topic. I too am looking for a different seat. Just purchased a 05' RSTD with stock seat. I had a Mustang seat on my previous bike (05 Boulevard C50T) and loved it. Was thinking of going with another Mustang because I liked the other one so well. I'm 5'9'' 190 so not a size issue as some riders.

One thing to note, I tried the pad on my stock seat and it didn't help. The big difference I see is the Mustang seat has a metal seat pan, and the stock RSTD seat pan is plastic. I think it flexes or sags to much. If it could be stiffened up I may be fine. I was going to try to stiffen mine up before I bought the Mustang seat.

Good luck. You are not alone in wanting to try something a bit better than the stock RSTD seat. BY the way, how did you like that C50T? I was thinking about getting mamma one.

Guest snake_1962

I recently replaced the stock set on my 05 TD with a Mustang seat I picked up from a guy in Las Cruces. So far I am impressed with the comfort and the Boys are not as cramped as with the stock seat. I am also 5'9" and 195. The backrest is taking a while to get adjusted just right, but I'm working on that.

Snake:225:

Jim, I just went to the Gel Tec web site. Thanks. Do you mind telling what size you are? I am wondeering if that will work for me. I feel like I am being pushed forward on the seat. I know that Rick Butler has been modifying some seats, too.

I had the same problem with a Honda shadow I used to own......I took my seat off and sent it to a company called butt buffer....They took my cover off and installed an polmer pad insert in the foam.....It retained the orginal look and height of the orginall seat...It made all the diffence in the world...Went from only being able to ride 50 miles without stretching to rideing all day....http://www.buttbuffer.com/info.asp

Just wanted to pass this on to everybody. I just sent my seat off to SpencersMoto Care in Fla. for modification. They basically rebuild the stock seat to fit the owners a$$ better. For a few dollars extra he will put a gel insert in. Bottom line, I sent my seat and $75 for all of the work including the gel insert. I will post my thoughts as soon as I get the seat back. I decided to try this because I hate to part with 5 or 6 Benji's on a seat that may or may not fit me, $75 is a lot easier to swallow if the seat isn't any better. Check out the website, www.greatdaytoride.com.

Hope this info helps, again, I will post my opinion when my seat is returned.

:fingers-crossed-emo

Dave, I look forward to hearing about your seat experience! I am waiting to take delivery of an 08 RSTD NEXT WEEK! I am by no means wanting to shell out $500.00 for a new seat on a new bike. The website looked pretty good. Again, I look forward to hearing about the new seat.

Principle,

I can fix your seat and my cost is only $35 plus shipping (for the driver section). I read the Rider article on Spencer with keen interest as his approach to seat mods is pretty close to mine except that I use 1 1/2" memory foam as a top layer. My approach has always been to change the foundation foam to more fit the butt and cut in a tail bone relief to take the pressure off the tailbone and get it on the sit bones. And even though I have done many bike seats, my specialty has been mainly Venture (1st and RSV) seats as well as RSTDs. I have also recently done both sections of a Stratoliner that turned out well. I'm currently working on Rick Turton's seat off of his 85, which is pretty aged and a challenge but I'll make it better for he and his wife.

I'm in the classified section if I can help you out,

Rick

Hey Rick, I think this is the first time I have touched base with you, however, I have read some of your prior posts. I have no doubt in your abilities with a motorcycle, actually think some of your ideas are pretty brilliant. :bowdown::bowdown:I had the impression that your seat mods were more of a favor for some friends of yours, didn't know you were doing this for just anybody. Had I known that, I would have had you do my seat.:doh: Guess thats what I get for not contacting you and asking. BTW, my seat should be back today, it's been a week, I'm staring to get riding withdrawel syndrome. I'm starting to catch myself at my desk turning the fan on high and going "vroooom vrooom", coworkers think I'm nuts (ok they always thought I was nuts, they think I'm getting worse!).:think:

Sorry Dave,

I guess I should have posted when I decided to go ahead and pursue this venture. And yes, I had previously only done this for my close friends. So now all I have done is to expand my circle of friends where I have decided to help those Venture Riders who need help with their seats.

I know from my experience that most of the M/C manufacturers still haven't figured out what it takes to make a decent OEM seat. A few have gotten it better, the GL1800 being one of them but most of them keep doing what they have always done....keeping aftermarket seat makers in business. What I have found on all of my seats is that most just need a little modification to make for a better saddle, even many of the aftermarket seats. A 2 hour saddle has always been my benchmark for a decent seat.

And from my mentor "Papa Jack" I picked up the importance of a tailbone relief which takes the pressure off the tailbone and on the sit bones, which really seems to work. Of course from all of the seats that I have done recently, I have certainly gained a bunch of experience. And a final layer of memory foam has been a nice addition before stapling the cover back on.

Besides, I'm retired after 35 years in corporate America and now I'm doing something that I really enjoy....working on friend's bikes (and seats) and riding anytime I want to. Linda and I have already pretty much traveled all of North America since we started in 1980 so we see no use in buying a motorhome or toy box to now see America. Of course there are still a few places we would like to go back to again and smell the roses :)

Regardless, I'm here to help where I can,

Rick

I had a Mustang saddle on my Shadow Sabre 1100 and while the boys were indeed a bit more crowded, Monkey Butt and back pain were greatly reduced. My a$$ had a bunch more room after I donated the $400 for the saddle! Seriously though, I think every saddle is going to have some sort of issue, be it up front or in back unless you have it tailored. IMHO the best riding saddle is the one you have done locally where you can try it repeatedly and have it tailored to your buttocks.

I've had the Mustang seat on my RSTD for a couple of years, now. I'm 6'4", and it shoves me forward, and that's really kind of a bad thoing. I wouldn't use it if it weren't for the swell backrest you can get for it.

I put a gel pad on it, and use Kuryakyn highway pegs. If it weren't for the backrest, I probably would use something else. I gave my stock seat to a friend who has a '96 Royal and he loves it.

Guest tone100

I can vouch for Rick's work. He did the seat on my RSTD and my Dad's Venture. Before I couldn't ride more than 200 miles without hurting. Now I can't remeber the last time its hurt to ride.

Fred,

I have a close friend with a Mustang seat on his RSTD and it's my observation that the back of the seat could use some curvature cut into it. This would not only give you more leg room to scoot back in the seat, but it would also provide a better curved back to take the pressure off the back of your butt above the tailbone. This has been one of my primary modifications to the stock RSV and TD seats which also have a flat back of the seat that applies undue pressure to the back of your butt.

JMHO,

Rick

www.day-long.com solved my problem. I had the Mustang, but it was too far forward and shaped poorly.

concours

i'm interested in this seat. Do you have pics with the seat installed? I read in their web site how to proceed to get the mod, to be sure can you explain how you did.

thank you

Well, I have my seat back and gave it a couple of rides. One ride was around 200 miles, mostly on the interstate. Gotta say, the seat is SOOOO much better. I used to get sore right at the bottom of my spine, didn't seem to be a problem. Sorry it took a little longer to give feedback, I was called out of town for business. But I would definately recommend having this stock RSTD seat modified. The only thing I would do differently, I'd probably give Rick Butler my business, just to keep it in the family. BTW, the seat looks exactly like stock, and it took exactly a week from the day I shipped it off to the day it was delivered to my house. Hope this helps.:cool10::cool10::cool10:

concours

i'm interested in this seat. Do you have pics with the seat installed? I read in their web site how to proceed to get the mod, to be sure can you explain how you did.

thank you

I don't have any images.. Their website has two pictures of the seat on a red RSV (close enough to same for RSTD). I just took pictures, measurements and such. Told him higher is OK, etc.

Seat is perfect...