IGNORED

corroded connector

Doing a little maintenance on the 87' this aft, dismantled the fairing, and found this corroded wiring harness connector to the 4w Hazard switch. I've never had one this bad and not

quite sure where to begin without damaging contacts. Looking for any suggestions to clean the oxidization properly and best type of grease, if any, to use after cleaning. The female end is just as bad.

9 pin connector to 4w hazard switch.jpg

Most of these "Molex" (not actually a Molex connector, but the idea is same) type connectors rely on an integral tang to retain each connector pin. Utilizing a tiny precision screwdriver, depress the tang that retains each connector pin into the white plastic connector body and retract each connector, one at a time. Clean each removed connector pin with a combination of CRC QD contact cleaner and mechanical abrasion (brass brush); reinsert the connector and move to the next connector pin. I suggest removing one pin at a time to avoid possible mix-up.

Untitled.jpg

Edited by Prairiehammer

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest a way of cleaning those that is 'out of the box'.

Harbor Freight sells a hand media blaster for $18.

Gravity Feed Blaster Gun

It can be used as a small area soda blaster. Soda blasting uses common sodium bicarbonate (baking soda). See link below for use on copper.

Seattle Soda Blasting Company Serving the Puget Sound | Call Today!

The connector could be hand held with decent glove and cleaned. Residue clean-up possibly with water and allowed to air dry.

I have no idea if this has been considered by anyone, a Google search on it came up with no pertinent matches.

Don't try this at home, someone may come up with why this is a bad idea. :buttkick:

Even after dis-assembleing pins from housing, cleaning the contacts manually and thoroughly would be very hard. Where the female pin wraps around would difficult to access.

Gary

appreciate the replies. Using them and materials I had on hand, things worked out relatively ok. Used a safety pin to release the Molex brass connectors (nipped off the tip of the needle).

Cleaned the brass connectors with fine steel wool and methyl hydrate and the nylon connectors with mh & Qtips. Coated the brass connectors with Permatex diaelectric grease. I removed

the brass connectors together to get at the green crud at the bottom of the nylon connector. Attached a few before and after pics.

(hopefully the headlight doesn't turn off when I throw the 4w :hihi:)

3 _ male female corroded connector.jpg

2 _ connector cleaned and lubed.jpg

1 _ 9 pin connector to 4w hazard switch original.jpg

6 _ safety pin removal tool.jpg

5_contacts after cleaning.jpg

4 _ male female cleaned connector.jpg