IGNORED

Took the 88 out Friday

Chaharly

Well my buddy bought himself a brand new Honda Shadow 750. Blacked out everything except the exhaust. A sharp little scoot. Well he wanted to go for a ride with me and he really wanted to check out my new to me bike. So I figured I better do some work before he comes over.

I did a little work with the carbs. I drained the float bowls and richened up the pilot jets some, which got her running on all four cylinders. For a bike thats 27 years old I gotta tell you she purrs like a kitten. I messed with the CLASS and finally got some air in the shocks to have an appropriate amount of air in them. I checked the coolant level and was surprised to see it full and with mostly fresh smelling fluid. Put a little air in the tires, put the plastics back on and let her sit until Matt showed up with his shadow.

He came over and we did the usual walk around examination. He told me he was impressed with how nice it looked for the age, and that I was overselling the poor condition of it. I told him to go on, so he did for awhile but then after some time he was finally ready to ride. Now my Occupational Therapist had advised against me riding but it was a beautiful 70 degree day and my bike WAS already warmed up. So I hopped on against her better judgement and away we went.

I gotta tell you I noticed some major differences in the two bikes right away. For one, the leg position felt almost alien after spending two years on a RSV. I thought that the first gens had adjustable footpegs, but apparently not. It just must be the mark I's. It felt right after I went around the block and truth be told I like this position much more. Also when I first sat on it the backrest felt wrong, I adjusted that to its rear setting and was really happy with the ride after that. Going down the rode the bike had loads of power, and just felt "right". I was kind of nervous that I wouldnt feel comfortable on a bike after my wreck, but as soon as I let out the clutch for the first time all of that was over. It was just like a glove! I thought too that maybe I was just an amateur, and thats why I crashed, but after realizing that I've ridden ventures off and on since I was 15 and putting on over 20K miles with no incidents means that maybe I am pretty skilled. I also had a pretty amateur rider with me that day, and he's ridden for 2 years. I decided to follow him and let him ride at his own pace, besides his Shadow wasnt even broken in yet (literally not even 300 miles). We only went about 10 miles on the highway all together because my bike still has the original front tire from 88 on it. That was the only thing on the bike of my mind was that old front tire. I noticed a few more kinks that I'm going to have to work out of the old girl, but I see NO reason why this bike cant give me another 100K miles reliably.

The first thing that I noticed that really bugged me is only the left speaker works. I tried with Dad's intercom system on his helmet and only the left IC speaker works too. Also only the left speaker works on the CB. I thought maybe the right speaker was trash so I jumpered the two to see and the right one works with no problem. I also noticed that when going over some of the tough bumps the radio cuts out. I took the radio off and noticed one of the female pins on the radio is pushed in some. Not quite sure how I'm going to fix that. Also when I looked in I saw a horrifying image... the harness that I believe attaches the radio to the amplifier had been cut, and rewired with black electrical tape. I could see bare copper but I dont know if this will have anything to do with the left speaker not working. So basically on one of my free days I'm going to have to remove the fairing and rewire that plug, hopefully fixing this problem. I wouldn't mind just jumpering the two speaker wires together, but I AM working to get the CLASS, CB, Radio and all the lights in proper working order because, as a first gen venture I believe it deserves no less! Plus the bike came with a couple sets of helmet headsets that I'm going to use when riding in a group on a long trip.

The next thing I noticed is that the panel that holds the CB and CLASS system only have one out of six backing tabs holding it on. The rest are just screws holding nothing. So i got ahold of some washers and some JB weld and I think I've got a half ways functional set up drying on the table.

I notice a bit of humming coming from the rear end. I've neglected to check the fluid, but it sounds like typical gear noise to me. It has a new tire on the bike, not sure what brand or anything.

I also noticed on this one that the temperature gauge works differently than on all my previous ones. I saw that even though the fan would kick on and the bike would "feel" like it was hot (slightly chattery clutch, typical hot day city navigating) while cruising around randolph, the gauge would only come up about half way. Now on all of my previous ventures the gauge had alot more move to it. I remember that you could watch the gauge climb the longer you drove around town, and the fan would kick on about 3/4 of the way, and typical cruising temp would be right about half way. On this one the temp doesnt hardly climb over the little line. So thats got me thinking they could have the drain screw on wrong.

Its still leaking oil, they thought it was from the shift linkage seal, but i can tell that its coming from the crank case seal on that side. You can see the gasket pushing out. Does yamaha or anyone make a replacement for this or am I going to have to make a gasket?

When I got it the CLASS was acting up, so thanks to the writeups I got it fixed and also learned an important new skill! I'm kind of thinking that skill could become a hobby! I also noticed under some hard acceleration that the clutch slipped. My opinion on this is that I'm basically re-breaking in an engine that hasnt been properly ridden in years, hopefully I can make it a season without toasting it, and then I'll do the upgrade next winter. By the way, the brake and clutch fluid has been swapped with fresh, and I still need to check the 80/90. Any suggestions with the problems I'm having or anything I may have missed would be greatly appreciated.

Really though guys even with these little problems its good to be back in the saddle again. The bike just felt right, thats all I can really say, and once I install the front tire, fork seals, springs and bushings I'll have a totally rideable bike. I also noticed that riding is in itself a really good physical therapy for my wrist. It stretches it, builds strength and I actually think I gained a little mobility from my ride. I just want to say thanks again guys with the support after my accident and for the assists on looking for a new bike. This is probably the best site on the internet and there isnt a problem you guys cant solve. I hope to put on a minimum of 15k miles yet this year, and I hope you guys all have a safe, fun summer as well. I'll be uploading pics soon and give you guys a total progress report shortly!

By the way, I really think it IS faster than my 2nd gen

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::thumbsup:

AWESOME RIDE REPORT CHA!!!! Glad you got that first ride in and over and all went really well!! Sounds to me like you got yourself a WINNER that my friend!! :thumbsup:

Any of those gaskets should be readily available from Yamaha, maybe even find em on Ebay..

Hey,, I was just over reading another thread that another friend of ours had written about getting his bike out and going for a ride too.. He (Orlin) is also a really great guy (like you) and did a really nice job on his write up too.. Problem is, he forgot to include some :photographing:'s in his story and someone gave him the old :worthless: warning... Not trying to :stirthepot: or nuttin :checkeredflag::hihi:

Oh yea,, I LOVE those Honda Shadows like your buddy bought too - them there are GREAT bikes!! Gotta ask,, did he actually paint a brand new bike to blacken it out?:guitarist 2:

glad you got some time back in the saddle

sometimes a crash like you had can make a fellow kind of nervous

get that front tire done. don't need you to go down again.

as for the Honda shadow your buddy has. I just love mine. it is not a speed demon. but she can get up and scoot if she wants too. but most of the time she just loves to do 65 MPH on some nice country back roads. enjoying the sites. and putting a smile on an old goats face.

I had intermittent times with my '86 where the sound would come and go in one of the speakers (both dash and helmet). After a while the plug where the radio seats into, the plastic weakens and starts to sag a bit, not allowing the plugs to make a full connection. Pull the radio and, if needed, shim the plug socket a little bit.

Glad you're back riding!

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::thumbsup:

AWESOME RIDE REPORT CHA!!!! Glad you got that first ride in and over and all went really well!! Sounds to me like you got yourself a WINNER that my friend!! :thumbsup:

Any of those gaskets should be readily available from Yamaha, maybe even find em on Ebay..

Hey,, I was just over reading another thread that another friend of ours had written about getting his bike out and going for a ride too.. He (Orlin) is also a really great guy (like you) and did a really nice job on his write up too.. Problem is, he forgot to include some :photographing:'s in his story and someone gave him the old :worthless: warning... Not trying to :stirthepot: or nuttin :checkeredflag::hihi:

Oh yea,, I LOVE those Honda Shadows like your buddy bought too - them there are GREAT bikes!! Gotta ask,, did he actually paint a brand new bike to blacken it out?:guitarist 2:

Thanks Puc! I figured someone would give me some Flac for not posting pictures, just glad we got it out of the way right away! Oh and by the way, Puc I think i'm going to steal your idea and use stickers for my scratch repair :D

glad you got some time back in the saddle

sometimes a crash like you had can make a fellow kind of nervous

get that front tire done. don't need you to go down again.

as for the Honda shadow your buddy has. I just love mine. it is not a speed demon. but she can get up and scoot if she wants too. but most of the time she just loves to do 65 MPH on some nice country back roads. enjoying the sites. and putting a smile on an old goats face.

Thats the first thing I'm going to do before I even ATTEMPT to bring my bike home, I figured 10 miles was probably too much on that front tire. And my buddy loves his shadow by the way, He was looking at a 2015 shadow or a 2011 Sportster. I think he paid around 7500 for the brand new shadow, and the sportster would've been around 9500. He said in town he doesnt notice much of a difference between the sportster and the shadow, but at speed the sportsters god more "git up n' go".

I figured you guys would like to see a picture of his shadow, so I had him send me one! And no Puc, he didnt black it out, it came from the factory that way!

matts bike.jpg

I had intermittent times with my '86 where the sound would come and go in one of the speakers (both dash and helmet). After a while the plug where the radio seats into, the plastic weakens and starts to sag a bit, not allowing the plugs to make a full connection. Pull the radio and, if needed, shim the plug socket a little bit.

Glad you're back riding!

Are you talking about those circular like 8prong plugs?

Or the actual plug the radio rests in?

Edited by Chaharly

I'm talking about the plug the radio set down into. Under that is the amp. It wouldn't hurt to open, clean and put some dielectric grease in the connectors there. FYI the cables going from the amp out are the same as what was used for the old AT type for computer keyboards (pre-PS2). You can still buy AT keyboard extension cables as replacements if needed.

When I first got my 750 Shadow, I thought it would be a good 'round the region' fun bike, but alas, IMHO my 88VR does a better job, so the Shadow was sold with no regrets. Then I got a Yamaha Virago XV535 for $200 and it is great for 'around the block', but that's it. My 88VR is truly my 'go-to' machine and the first one I think about when considering an outing..... and it gets over 44mpg routinely no matter what.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

When I first got my 750 Shadow, I thought it would be a good 'round the region' fun bike, but alas, IMHO my 88VR does a better job, so the Shadow was sold with no regrets. Then I got a Yamaha Virago XV535 for $200 and it is great for 'around the block', but that's it. My 88VR is truly my 'go-to' machine and the first one I think about when considering an outing..... and it gets over 44mpg routinely no matter what.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

This is exactly why I stuck with a venture. After my wreck I looked at ALOT of bikes, some that were pretty, some that were fast, and some that were comfy, but if I had to pick one bike to be my daily rider Id have to pick the venture every time.

As far as practicality, Looks, performance, and price I just can't see myself NOT owning a venture. Will I get another bike down the line? Probably, will I sell this venture anytime soon? DEFINITELY not

Thanks Puc! I figured someone would give me some Flac for not posting pictures, just glad we got it out of the way right away! Oh and by the way, Puc I think i'm going to steal your idea and use stickers for my scratch repair :D

Thats the first thing I'm going to do before I even ATTEMPT to bring my bike home, I figured 10 miles was probably too much on that front tire. And my buddy loves his shadow by the way, He was looking at a 2015 shadow or a 2011 Sportster. I think he paid around 7500 for the brand new shadow, and the sportster would've been around 9500. He said in town he doesnt notice much of a difference between the sportster and the shadow, but at speed the sportsters god more "git up n' go".

I figured you guys would like to see a picture of his shadow, so I had him send me one! And no Puc, he didnt black it out, it came from the factory that way!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]98300[/ATTACH]

That Shadow is SHARP - I LOVE the "Blacked Out" version!! BEAUTIFUL!!!!:thumbsup:

Say Cha,, for your scratch repair needs - if you do go with the more difficult method of repairing with stickers I would advise you to hide a permanent marker on your bike somewhere so people can sign them!! This finalizaton of the sticker application is mandatory!! If you dont do it - people will look at your bike and think your strange!:thumbsup:

The 88s are the best , especially if they are white. Like mine. the only problem is carrying it on the rear of our motorhome it gets really cruddy looking. Motorhome is powered by a detroit diesel 2 stroke so it throws a lot of oil. As far as being fast, it can scare me, easily. Have fun with it.

That Shadow is SHARP - I LOVE the "Blacked Out" version!! BEAUTIFUL!!!!:thumbsup:

Say Cha,, for your scratch repair needs - if you do go with the more difficult method of repairing with stickers I would advise you to hide a permanent marker on your bike somewhere so people can sign them!! This finalizaton of the sticker application is mandatory!! If you dont do it - people will look at your bike and think your strange!:thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice Puc! I'm starting to wonder how many stickers its gonna take, I could run out room for signatures pretty fast!

The 88s are the best , especially if they are white. Like mine. the only problem is carrying it on the rear of our motorhome it gets really cruddy looking. Motorhome is powered by a detroit diesel 2 stroke so it throws a lot of oil. As far as being fast, it can scare me, easily. Have fun with it.

I do love that white color! That's one of the rarest colors as far as I've seen! And that's ok if its diesel, just as long as its not road salt!