IGNORED

How much plastic needs removing to get to TCI unit?

Soon I'll be going to my brother's house ab0it 160 miles south of here to install a replacement TCI unit in the 83. How much plastic do I have to remove to get the old TCI out? I've got the battery & battery box out, so unplugging the unit is easy. Every time I've ever pulled a TCI, I had the fairing off to do other things and was trying to remember if pulling the lowers and side plastic was all I need to do?

I removed mine recently by removing the lowers, the radiator side cover, the side covers and the plastic piece on top of the front cylinders. That provided access to the two screws holding it on. And, as you said, the battery and battery box.

Air filter box, battery and battery box. One can then reach the two under screws but will likely find them siezed requiring small vice grips or other tool that fits.

I would reinstall the TCI box on top of the air cleaner...... helps keep it dry.

Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

I couldn't find a picture of the TCI mounted after being moved on an earlier search. So, this past weekend I had the chance to work on my son-in-laws 86 that he bought from 1Rooster. His TCI had been moved so I snapped a picture of it.

My understanding is that if you cut one tab off of the TCI it will fit nicely and easier to remove by cutting the tabs off.

TCI 1.jpg