IGNORED

cut my windshield down

oconeedan

I couldn't get used to looking through the "new to me" 07 RSTD. I tried it several weeks. On foggy mornings, when riding through a warm pocket of air, it would fog up instantly on inside and outside, leaving me blind.

I skipped riding to work the other day, knowing it was dense fog. That's out of character, for me.

So yesterday, I trimmed it down to around nose height. Just barely looking over it, I can still slump in my seat and get behind it completely if I come across some hard rain.

A bit of increased wind and noise, as expected.

I may get a Clearview replacement shield the same height, with the recurve. And maybe a vent.

All I can say is, I'm a bit more comfortable looking over the shield.

Details, cut with a band saw, smoothed with belt grinder, then hand sanded and polished the edges. It looks like a factory finish. It took as long to lay out the cut line, as it did to do the work.

Dan

Sounds wise. I have two windshields stock height and cut down 4 inches, i though i'd enjoy the cut down hinshield but as tall as i am I found the stock shield was more to my liking. i can look over the top easy enough.

How did you polish the edges? I have the same problem. I prefer the shield to be a little lower than eye sight. I can't afford to buy a shorter one and would love to try your remedy. Thanks for any additional help.

I've been thinking about a 14" but wide windshield for my RSV. Looked on-line but the shorter shields are 23", not 28" like my F4.

I have a 17" F4 Customs that is great but want shorter. F4 Customs does not list a 14" that is wide (28").

After some posts here and other forums I left a contact to F4 on their website.

The owner, Don Frank, sent back an email to contact him (or Kim) and they would custom make one for me.

I will guess at about the same price.

He is in Daytona this week, but I will contact him soon to make me a 13" or 14" full width shield.

Will be great for warmer weather.

Mike G in SC

How did you polish the edges? I have the same problem. I prefer the shield to be a little lower than eye sight. I can't afford to buy a shorter one and would love to try your remedy. Thanks for any additional help.

I used a belt sander to get the edge straight, not wavy from the bandsaw. Then a simple block of wood, wrapped in sandpaper. Started with 220 grit, then progressively finer up to 1000. At times only used the sand paper in my hand, no block, to make sure a nice rounded edge.

Finished with old rag and 3M Perfect It II rubbing compound. Was happy after that and didn't need to go to polishing compound.

Dan

I took a memphis shades shield I had around and cut it to fit the RSV. I thought I got it measured rite, but if it was an inch or 2 taller it wouldnt be bad. My fault with the short one is if I get caught in rain its a tick to short to send the rain over you. And it has a tendancy to dry my eyes out on long rides.

Cut mine down early last year but I didn't like the added buffering on longer rides so I picked up a Show Chrome 13" windshield before by trip last year and love it. (specs below)

I like the wider and shorter look and is comfortable riding with it in most weather conditions.

These run from $100 to 125.00 average and come in clear and smoke tint.

This stylish clear windshield for the Yamaha Royal Star Venture is 2-1/2" wider per side and 4" shorter than stock OEM windshields. A windshield height of 13" gives it a lower profile for a “sporty” look. Manufactured from 3/16" thick transparent Lucite DOT approved acrylic. Made in USA.

•4" Shorter (13" tall installed height),

•2 1/2" Wider

•3/16" Lucite DOT Acrylic

Also available in smoke tint.

Fits Yamaha Royal Star Venture - all model years

Part number 20-610 by Show Chrome.

yamaharoyalstarven_04815_20-610_clear_yes_showc__1.jpg

Edited by Zzyzx