IGNORED

LEDs behind reflector on 83's to 85's

The rear trunk reflector that I am thinking of is not the same between 83-83 but rather 83-84 and 85-93. My 85 came with a cracked trunk and I replaced it with a 93 model which was the same and has the large reflector across it. My original trunk reflector had been removed and had its rear plastic removed with a set of small lights behind it. These were not hooked up when I acquired the bike and they were not led but incandescent and seemed to have been used in the bikes earlier life. Leds would be much better for life expectancy and ease of use. I do not think I will be doing this to my project but the thought had crossed my mind and the only reason I have not chosen to do it is that after all the upgrades and changes I have done to my bike I just really want to see it together and ride it to see how much I like it first. Hopefully in another week or so I will get to paint and install my led reflectors on the side bags and front reflectors. If you do attempt it please post pics and what materials you used as it might be a future project for me if I like the bike.

Thanks! I appreciate the info, my bike is a 84 but the travel bag (trunk) is off the 85 parts bike because it's twice as big! I forget about it being from the '85... In the parts break-down it looks like the reflector is glued on the back, anyone ever dealt with getting it off? I wonder about breaking it while trying to remove it in one piece...it's still available for $351.?? at boats or partzilla, the lowest price on the internet.

Mine was held on with two way tape and I was lucky enough to get a like new (aside from one 1" crack) trunk on ebay for a $10 bid. The reflector and paint on it is perfect and the crack is hidden by the backrest. It's a shame I have to paint it to match my bike. Check ebay they had cheaper NOS reflectors when I was looking. I will look at what it takes to remove it as I will need to do so when I repaint. If anything different than two way tape I will post the difference.

Hi @dna9656, I just pulled the reflectors off my two 1986 Ventures last week. They were both held on with double sided automotive tape....actually one also had clear silicone behind as well from a previous owner trying to make it stick better. I also used 3m double sided automotive tape to re-install them.

I just took my time with a putty knife and flat screwdriver and pried them off being careful not to break or crack them. The front red lens separated from the black back of the reflector while it was being removed from the trunk. Just go slow and don't use too much pressure.

I totally recommend the reflector LED conversion....works great on both of my bikes. Here is a video from my install: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/first-generation-venture-tech-talk/97734-reflector-conversion-led-easy-recommend.html

Thanks! I appreciate the info, my bike is a 84 but the travel bag (trunk) is off the 85 parts bike because it's twice as big! I forget about it being from the '85... In the parts break-down it looks like the reflector is glued on the back, anyone ever dealt with getting it off? I wonder about breaking it while trying to remove it in one piece...it's still available for $351.?? at boats or partzilla, the lowest price on the internet.

Vanriver, thank you for confirming that two way tapes holds on the reflector. Flyinfool, now you did it. My bike is going green but now green with envy as that was a nice job on your fabrication and install. I personally like the outline look. Another upgrade to add to the list... dna9656 please keep us posted on how you you light up your trunk as I am interested and like to see the personal differences made by each rider. I am so happy you brought this topic up as it was on my mind.

When I installed lights in my trunk reflector, I left the reflector on the trunk and removed the lens. It gave me a solid surface to work on to install the LED's. I drilled a hole through to the interior of the trunk at the lower left hand corner to run the wires through the trunk. Here's what I did:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/first-generation-venture-tech-talk/88389-installed-leds-rear-reflectors.html

I have since done the side bag reflectors and the small reflectors in the radiator side covers.