IGNORED

Victory enters the racing world

SilvrT

"Smith will be able to transplant his powerful S&S V-Twin powertrain right into the Victory bike"...says the article cited by SilvrT.

Read that, too. So in simple terms is a top fuel HD rider, taking his top fuel motor out of his "Harley" drag bike and putting it in a chassis that Victory is making him. I've grown up with a TF bike in the family, there is nothing HD about a HD Drag bike other than the engine architecture. Its all race specific stuff in a custom built chassis...so where is the news in this?

Brat,

I completely agree...the motorcycle that Smith will drag race will be a custom chassied, SS motored bike with Victory skin...... Read "Smith, who worked all winter with Minnesota-based Victory on the body design, is expected to take possession of the first body this week and will take the bike to the wind tunnel Jan. 30." I think it laughable that Victory would lend it's name to this project. If they want a legitimate race team, they're going to need to pony up some big bucks for an R&D program, IMO.

Nitro Funny cars same thing. same chasissis, diffrent bodies. All Hemi powered. They made pretty big stink about John Force moving over to Chevy. LOL Same cars he had last year, different bodies.

Right.... And if you turn your head to the left and squint real hard with your right eye while staring at the Chevy bodied funny car...you just might see a glimpse of resemblance to a Chevy (hence why they are called funny car).. :confused24: :stirthepot:

That is what has become of most racing series out there...Nascar, where did the STOCK go? All using the same engine block, chassis, suspension, tires, etc etc. The import TF/Alcohol guys (both bikes and cars) have to work for their speeds, its not like you can walk down to the local parts store and select from 6 different heads & intake manifolds for your Honda!

With the R&D push that Polaris put into the Indian line to not just make it Victory in new sheet metal I figured they'd at least try and build a legit race engine out of either the 106 or the 111. It would most likely be all in-house parts as neither bike has the aftermarket like HD.

neither bike has the aftermarket like HD.

This is true; however, speaking only of the engine, there is a lot of "after market" stuff available such as big bore kits, cams, heads, etc. You can build a Vic engine up from stock quite a bit amd there are a number of specialty shops out there doing just that. That said, they aren't a basis for a TF race engine.

Not trying to shoot down Vic & Indian (and any other maker) as "nothing is available" for them. The TF HD bikes I know are all aftermarket mix'n'match of an Evolution engine design with a race specific trans. I don't believe that any other brand used the divorced transmission style like HD so it makes it a lot more expensive to design the go-fast goodies required. Less the EVO engine has been around for 30 years.

Not trying to shoot down Vic & Indian (and any other maker) as "nothing is available" for them. The TF HD bikes I know are all aftermarket mix'n'match of an Evolution engine design with a race specific trans. I don't believe that any other brand used the divorced transmission style like HD so it makes it a lot more expensive to design the go-fast goodies required. Less the EVO engine has been around for 30 years.

understood and agreed!