IGNORED

RSV radio

I just bought an '09 RSV from an individual and it has problems with the radio controls. It won't change channels and the buttons stick. I sprayed WD-40 on them and it helped some but still unresponsive when changing channels. I hate to take it to a dealer but I don't think I'll be able to change it out! Has anyone had a similar problem?

Need to try some contact cleaner vs the WD 40. The WD will leave a film and not allow contacts to work eventually. I have a can of CRC electrical contact cleaner. Also up under the fairing at the connectors for the cables that control may need a shot. Then add some dielectric grease on the pins when you put it back together. If all that fails its probably the little black controller on the handle bars. You should be able to pick one up used.

Pete, it's been my experience that it's seldom the buttons that cause these issues on the RSV. It can often be corrected by pulling the front of the fairing and cleaning and reseating the 5 cables. If that doesn't work, it seems to most often be a problem with the unit itself.

the buttons on the control head are water tight and spraying without taking it apart is a wasted effort. I have had several of them apart and Don is correct that in most cases it is poor or dirty connections inside the plug in side the fairing. also recommend disconnecting the battery for several minutes to let everything return to default settings before you try taking anything apart.

feel free to call me of an evening if you want some help. Mike

To remove the fairing cover, there are (8) 3mm hex bolts on the inside. Take the top one out of each side and then GENTLY remove the chrome strip across the base of the windshield. There is a small tab in the center of the chrome strip that holds it down. It will come right out, but be gentle with it.

If you have an auxiliary running light bar, it will need to be removed also. You will need a ball end 6mm hex wrench. Place a towel across your front fender before removing it to prevent it slipping and dinging the finder (DAMHIK).

Then, remove the other 6 3mm hex bolts and then walk around the front. At the bottom of the headlight bezel is a 4mm bolt. There are also a handful of short 3mm hex bolts at the base of the windshield. Remove these and the front fairing cover will come right off. Do it a few times and it becomes really easy.

Now, take a look at the left side (as you are looking at the wiring from the front - throttle side) and you will see several large cables with a thick tiewrap around them. Release the tab of the tiewrap so it is easy to get to the cables. Go one by one (although they are color coded) and separate them. Give each side a shot of CRC electrical contact cleaner, let 'em dry, and spread some dielectric grease on the contacts. Put is all back together and I expect your radio troubles will be gone.

Good luck.

RR

I haven't removed the fairing yet but just had a couple of questions, I don't have the "ball end 6mm wrench" but I do have a 6mm hex allen wrench. I may buy one before I attempt this...The other is, do I disconnect the cables where they plug into each other or just spray the connections? I've had the front fairing off on another bike (without the light bar) so I'm familiar with the inside. Thanks for the pointers! I'll post how it turns out. I do believe that's where the trouble is, the light is flickering on the radio...