IGNORED

Oil Change

scooter45

I stoped at a local yamaha dealer to see what the cost of a oil change was he said $80. Is that the going rate? I did change it my self for about $15. :confused24:

I think the going rate is whatever the raper can get. I can't help but wonder how some of these dealers stay in business.:no-no-no:

I stoped at a local yamaha dealer to see what the cost of a oil change was he said $80. Is that the going rate? I did change it my self for about $15. :confused24:

I would and do change my own oil...your preference, Just be sure and not overfill even the slightest bit as it WILL leak. Tom

it runs me 48. to change my oil filter and rearend oil i do this my self. i change the rearend oil every time i change the oil. i have never greased the drive shaft or gears but i do have some one going to help with that this spring.

thanks squidly:smile5:

Most dealers are getting up there in their hourly rates. Around here I've seen a couple at $99 bucks, and a lot of that probably has a lot to do with what they are paying out in benifits. At $80 the dealer was probably charging you for half an hour plus parts...oil, filter, etc. Gets expensive taking any vehicle to a dealer any longer.....

It's not that I haven't changed my own oil, but my S-10 costs my $12 at the dealer & the Expadition costs $20. You can't do it yourself for that.

Yep, they want you to bring it in and then give you a list of things that they found wrong and needed attention..... at $80 bucks an hour. Had one dealer told me the rear end in the Suburban looked like it had water in it and needed new seals etc. I asked him to show me the oil. Not even a drop of water had gotten near that oil...I know I'm in the boat business and deal with it all the time. Granted it did look like it needed the lube changed... That's all he should have said. Last time I'll go there. Gotta watch these guys....

I've been changing my own oil on my VTX 1800 at a significant savings. I buy the oil and filters online at "Honda Direct Line".

I would like to do the same with my new RSV.

Does anyone know of a good website to buy oil and filters for these babies, rather than take it up the kazoo at dealership prices?

Also, does Yamaha put out a synthetic like Honda does for their bikes?

What kind of oil and weight are y'all running in yours?

I'll mostly be riding in the warmer climates.