IGNORED

Anyone Interested on my Winter Progress?

Chaharly

Well too bad! I'm gonna tell you anyways!

I got my 99 RSV a 2 years ago almost to the day. When I got it she had about 20,000 miles on and i've put about 10 on since i got it.

This next summer, however, I'm going to Arizona on an 11 day trip and I've got mini trips planned all summer. All in all i want to get over 10000 miles this summer. So being at 30K I decided it was time to do some maintenance.

Step Numero Uno: The back tire on my bike was completely shot, probably to the point that I had absolutely NO business being on it so that was step number one. I had bought some used OEM slip ons from ebay for a RSTD so this would prove to be a good opportunity to install those. So i got ahold of a nexen car tire and decided to try being a darksider. While i had the tire off it was also a good time to install the leveling links and I also packed the swing-arm bearings. I managed to save the old seals and everything. The bearings were in perfect shape. I have to admit the though, that bearing grease was starting to get pretty thin, so I did my usual of wayyy overpacking everything. While i had it all apart I took the opportunity to lube all of the suspension linkage.

I had to put the car tire on by myself because the shop wasnt willing to go over 60 pounds to seat it and didnt polish the rim before installing the tire. So i did that reletively dangerous procedure in dads garage, but as you can see, I'm still in one piece :missingtooth:. Greased the "axle" splines or whatever you call them and re-installed the tire. I noticed however I put a washer in the wrong spot so thats where she sits until this thursday.

So at 30K miles I knew it was time to do a valve adjustment so I contacted SkyDoc and ordered a set of gaskets and he let me borrow the shim kit. Huge Thank you to skydoc for that, he saved me a ton of dough!!! During dis assembly of the bike i noticed that the intake boots from the carbs to the cylinders had cracks all the way through at the top and decided to replace those. Also the boots going from the air box to the carbs were cracked on the right side and upon further inspection proved to had been letting dust into the carbs so I replaced those. Decided to go through and clean the carbs for kicks and giggle while I had it apart. They were really clean so I put them back together and reset the float levels and finally got all that put back together today.

When I first started the bike (and this was the first time in over 2 weeks with sub zero temps) it only ran on 3 cylinders with the choke on. The front left wasnt waking up quite like it should until i shut the choke off and let it warm up for a bit. Took no time to start, but as these ventures do it took quite awhile to warm up. She was running on all four cylinders and as far as I know will fire on all four with the choke engaged now too. The bowls were completely drained so i think that may have been some of the problem. The only problem is now on the right side of the choke linkage where the philips head screw goes in it comes loose.... Damn I though i lost a lock washer. So when I go back thursday I'll throw some threadlock on it to help.

Got the throttle cables adjusted somewhat and lubed them as best I could. Replaced a few vacuum lines and got the lower fairings installed back on. The bottom strip on those lower fairings both broke, but I'm not a super cosmetic guy so two nice black zip ties will hold me content enough :)

I went to the a 6 dollar offroad headlight from Amazon and I dont remember who referenced me to that but thank you IT IS BRIGHT!!! I'm now waiting for my new windshield so I can put the fairing together and I need two male P-259 connectors so I can go to a one antenna system, new speakers all around and really thats about as far as I've gotten.

I want to say thank you to everyone who's helped me on this site, including the people who did the tech write ups. Those are brilliant and lifesavers! This really is the best website on the internet.

Now all I have left is to take the tire off and put that washer back in the right spot. I need to also mount that strip for the windshield to the speaker studs. Lube up the front and rear brake calipers. Change to a new front tire and tighten the needle bearins and I'll be done for this summer!

If i missed anything and someone catches it I really hope you let me know! Spark plugs are new and fuel filter was changed last year so I'm going to wait until the next valve job for the filter

GREAT READ CHA!!! Cant wait to hear your take on Darksiding! I wish I could find a cager tire for Tweeks,, I would love to try one!!

Thanks for the write up!

Oh yea,, about the only thing I can think of that you missed are the :photographing:'s.. There's this tiny little unwritten rule around this joint that says,,,, well,, never mind,, you've been around a long time,, no sense in being a :witch_brew:

I wish I had half of your ambition to get working on the bike.

Last weekend I finally got it up on the center stand so I can start working on things........

I saw you were working on that mobile center stand thing. How did that work out for you?

I actually had to reset my phone to factory defaults and I dont digitally back anything up other wise they would be gobs of pictures. Especially of little individual parts to help me remember things.

I've never been great with pictures though, one of my VERY few faults :337: