IGNORED

Hiawassee, GA vs Murphy, NC

Donvito

Planning a Spring trip from Florida and going to spend a few nights somewhere as a base to ride the local roads. Need a hotel and restaurants. Considering Hiawassee, GA or Murphy, NC. I've never been to either so I would appreciate any pros and cons from someone who has. Thanks.

Both are nice places and almost an hr apart. There's a couple of chain hotels in Hiawassee but go to Blairsville GA and stay at the Seasons Inn, they are one of the hosts for the Vogel Rally, the service is good and the owners are awesome. And you are still closeby to Murphy and Hiawassee.

Got a ticket in Hiawassee a few years back. I don't go in that area if I can void it. I crossed the double yellow line and got a ticket for passing in a no passing zone. The guy in front of me was making a right hand turn and I swerved to give the other riders on my right side a little more room to come into my side of the lane just in case to help avoid a collision, not that they needed it, but was trying to be safe and got a ticket.... Anyway, they got enough money from me for making that move/decision.

I agree with GAWildKat on going to Blairsville. Murphy has a few motels but nothing really around them within walking distance to eat, or to just walk and see anything.

Vito,

I live 45 min. from either, never had to stay but have eaten and ridden all the roads around. I will give you my take on the two.

What are you dates?

Are you wanting to ride every day?

Not sure what you budget is or your time frame!

I would look for a house or condo on the lake at Hiawassee. Area seems to cater to the more higher end spenders. It might be possible to find a deal though.

Restaurants are spread out not much on fast food, more the custom eaterys.

or

A house on the lake at murphy.

More options for eating just not within walking distance. The old part of downtown has a couple of nice restaurants that are not fast food or chains. Some shops for roaming thru. Main drag of Murphy is the US 64. Plenty of fast food and a few Mexican, Barbecue, Italian. Area is not as expensive as Hiawassee, except for the gasoline prices. NC has a higher gas tax or something, Seems to be 30 to 40 cents higher.

We all like Blairsville due to everyone that has been to Vogel!! Good option for hotel and eating.

While Blue Ridge is another option possible cabins on the river, lake or mountain views. Just make sure you let them know that you are on a motorcycle for some places have dirt road & gravel driveways.

Riding options are abundant from any of these locations.

If I can be any help feel free to call me or p.m.

Brian Shoemaker AKA Cowboy

I would go with Murphy, NC. as it is closer to the Nantahala Forest where some of the best riding to be enjoyed is found. The area between Franklin, Ashville, and Rosman has wonderful roads and little traffic. So unless something is special about Murphy I would get even closer buy staying in Franklin.