IGNORED

Borderline diabetic!!

Yammer Dan

I too am borderline diabetic. The Doc has me checking in every three months. Trying to cut down on rich food and booze but it was Christmas and who can resist Lobster Newburg and Absinthe martinis. On new regime as of today. One ship I worked on was very small and the upper passenger deck surrounded the bridge with a clear view in on all sides. The captain was diabetic and had to have his shots. One day he started to take his shot and then got on a rant about something and wound up pacing the bridge ( three paces each way...I said it was small) waving the needle in the air. A passenger saw him and went nuts trying to keep him in sight thinking it was something like heroin. I noticed this and reached back and got my lunch in its brown paper bag. I scrunched up the top and pretended to drink from it. The passenger just about had a heart attack, the captain on drugs and the helmsman drinking!!!!

The only Pop I drink is diet Bob. I know its not good either. I have had two in the last week and a cup of unsweetened tea with diet sweetener. Haven't been eating as much. I usually eat enough for about three people. A lot of ice water and less food.:bawling: Also trying to watch what I eat a little but the Warden is country folk cook. We still have a tub of Lard and Bacon grease in the kitchen. We will see,:fatsmiley:

Dan dont try and do this by yourself. I was told I was borderline for 2 years. I cut back on my sugar thinking that would suffice. But nope my last a1c test was 7.5.

My Doc set me up with a Diabetic Clinic for a 5 week course 21/2 hrs each week. A diabetic nurse taught us all about diabetis and a dietician taught what we could eat and the portions sizes. My wife attended the classes also (she said she cooks for two so she wanted to do it right) I learned you need to eat 3 meals a day and have a snack before you go to bed. The dietician set me up 4 carbs breakfast, 3 carbs lunch, 4 carbs dinner and 2 carbs snack at bed time. You need to eat protien with your carbs. Im on a 2100 calories a day I have lost 29 pounds so far thats more than 10% of my weight so far. I eat everything I did before, but now in the right portions. My blood sugar levels have fallen and have been staying below 110. I go back end of march for a a1c test and see how IM doing. Its not as hard as I thought it would be. Good luck. P.S. join a support group I did they meet once a month. You can learn allot and also get some great recipes and tips.

The only Pop I drink is diet Bob. I know its not good either. I have had two in the last week and a cup of unsweetened tea with diet sweetener. Haven't been eating as much. I usually eat enough for about three people. A lot of ice water and less food.:bawling: Also trying to watch what I eat a little but the Warden is country folk cook. We still have a tub of Lard and Bacon grease in the kitchen. We will see,:fatsmiley:

Dan,

Watch out for the sodium in diet pop... I took my BP the other day 120/80 drank diet pop and it went up to 140/100????in an hour. Found out there's 130 mg sodium in diet pop.

Am officially off the BP medicine that I started 1 month ago. Made some drastic changes in my life and I can see the results.

Saw the Doc. this morning and handed him the chart with my BP readings for the month(last week did not use BP meds). also included was a list of things I quit doing: Jacuzzi every day, 2-3 G2's every day, 2-3 diet pops everyday, adding salt to virtually everything I ate...etc...