IGNORED

Aftermarket radiator fan recommendations?

Has anyone used an aftermarket radiator fan that is more efficient; flows more air, etc?

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Richard in AZ

1988 VR

Muzzys used to sell an aluminum fan blade for the Ventures (and the same fan for the V-Max), but a check of their website indicates that the aluminum fan blades are backordered.

If you do a search for Muzzys fan blades for First Gen Ventures and V-Maxes, you may find something still in stock somewhere. The Muzzys part number for the Venture/V-Max fan blade is HT-H5.

Muzzy Aluminum Fans

The Muzzy fan looks like it might flow more air when it is running, but it also looks like it will block more air when it is not running. Meaning the fan will need to run more often and/or longer.

I guess the real question is why do you need a better fan? The stock fan cools things down pretty quick even in 100+ heat.

If it is electrical load that you are trying to reduce, then you need a more efficient motor, not a different fan blade. A fan blade that moves more air will also pull more amps, more amps could cook the fan motor.

Richard, I agree with Jeff. I've had no problems with my 89 1st gen in heat. Fan kicks in near top of green on temp gauge and keeps the engine at that temp. Even idling in heat.

If you are having overheating issues...suggest you completely go over the cooling system...from radiator flow to thermostadt. make sure the system is flowing properly would be my first guess....Also make sure the coolant temp sensor and the fan sensor (both on lower right side) are clean.

david

No overheating observed, just thinking ahead to the 110 summer temps and remembering my vr12 experiences. Thanks, guys.

Richard, I agree with Jeff. I've had no problems with my 89 1st gen in heat. Fan kicks in near top of green on temp gauge and keeps the engine at that temp. Even idling in heat.

If you are having overheating issues...suggest you completely go over the cooling system...from radiator flow to thermostadt. make sure the system is flowing properly would be my first guess....Also make sure the coolant temp sensor and the fan sensor (both on lower right side) are clean.

david

Crossing fingers you don't have the same problems. I don't on my 89....but that was this past summer! Grins...

david

well, I'll let you know how the "poor mans fix" of a lower kick on temp sensor for the cooling fan works. My new to me 87 doesn't appear to have a working fan sensor and temp gauge sender, so in prep for this weekends cooling system flush (new coolant, thermostat, etc) I also got a lower temp auto (88 chevy sprint) temp sensor for the fan. Think the thread is on poor mans or 1st gen in this forum. It's supposed to kick in at 180, rather than the stock (194?) which would mean more off/on cycles, but with 115 as a regular temp down here in the summer, I'm willing to live with. Leaving the factory temp thermostat for now, but that would be the next idea if it runs hot.

I'll see about putting that in if after pulling and cleaning the wiring and using some dielectric grease doesn't fix my "not hearing it running" fan issue with the current installed ones. I had them turn on once on the ride home, but test rides in similar situations have not, and without a working temp gauge I'm really leery of overheating. No desire to turn my new baby into a heart transplant candidate. Have done the "pull and squeeze" on the temp gauge single wire, but not working, and not sure if sender bad, gauge burned out, etc. I may simply plumb in a real capiliary tube style temp gauge - have an inate distrust of idiot lights and electric gauges where temp and oil pressure are concerned.

Glenn in Tucson

87 VR 1300 Motortrike conversion