IGNORED

Acceleration lag; 1988 vr

Okay, Roll on the throttle, the motor pauses briefly and then kicks in,

A dirty pilot circuit may manifest that symptom, so as Yammer says, dose it with Seafoam.

Other causes of the hesitation:

Improper fuel/air ratio; after assuring that the internal passages and jets are perfectly clean, adjust the pilot screws.

Sticky slides

Pin holed diaphragms

Improper carburetor synchronization.

Checked all your posts and couldn't find an original describing how you came by this bike, but I saw one that said "new to me", so assume this is a recently acquired machine. I picked mine up in trade for 3 Honda CL's in boxes in February. It ran about like you describe, and I was blown away to find it was only running on the front 2 cylinders. My TCI had apparently been used in an aquarium with as much corrosion as I found inside.:headache:

After installing a new Ignitech unit it ran okay but I had fouled one of the plugs in the process of things, so it was only running on 3 cylinders, with hesitation like you're talking about. Now with 4 new plugs AND a tedious thrice-over of the carbs (where I found some orifices clogged that I had missed the first two times :8:), plus a decel diaphragm that was toast, it runs like everyone says it should.

A quick hand pat at initial startup on all four exhausts will easily reveal any jug that's not firing. If they all are, I would look for a carb issue - air leaks, cracked slides, bad slide diaphragms, plugged air vents and jets. :2cents:

It could be one of many things causing this. The sliders act as acceleration pumps. When you increase throttle, the loss of vacuum pulls the metering rods out of the jets to enrichen the fuel mixture. Take the air cleaner off and watch the sliders in action. If this is not the problem, put some cleaner in the gas. My favorite is Gumout with Regane on the label. It has a very powerful cleaner, the same that is in Chevron Techron. I would not let it sit in the carbs for a long time though. It is more powerful than seafoam.

Of course make sure it is running on all four. A temperature check of the exhaust pipes should tell you this.

I concur with Flyday58, mine was acting similar to what you described and I discovered it was a bad TCI box, and my bike was only running on 2 cylinders most of the time with the other 2 kicking in now and then. I originally thought it was a carb issue until I pulled all four plugs, grounded them to the block and watched for spark while cranking the motor. I was chasing my tail for a long time trying to use Seafoam to fix what turned out to be an electrical problem. :doh:

Checked all your posts and couldn't find an original describing how you came by this bike, but I saw one that said "new to me", so assume this is a recently acquired machine. I picked mine up in trade for 3 Honda CL's in boxes in February. It ran about like you describe, and I was blown away to find it was only running on the front 2 cylinders. My TCI had apparently been used in an aquarium with as much corrosion as I found inside.:headache:

After installing a new Ignitech unit it ran okay but I had fouled one of the plugs in the process of things, so it was only running on 3 cylinders, with hesitation like you're talking about. Now with 4 new plugs AND a tedious thrice-over of the carbs (where I found some orifices clogged that I had missed the first two times :8:), plus a decel diaphragm that was toast, it runs like everyone says it should.

A quick hand pat at initial startup on all four exhausts will easily reveal any jug that's not firing. If they all are, I would look for a carb issue - air leaks, cracked slides, bad slide diaphragms, plugged air vents and jets. :2cents: