IGNORED

any body know this to be true

jonesy

COINS LEFT ON TOMBSTONES

While visiting some cemeteries you may notice that headstones marking certain graves have coins on them, left by previous visitors to the grave.

These coins have distinct meanings when left on the headstones of those who gave their life while serving in America's military, and these meanings vary depending on the denomination of coin.

A coin left on a headstone or at the grave site is meant as a message to the deceased soldier's family that someone else has visited the grave to pay respect. Leaving a penny at the grave means simply that you visited.

A nickel indicates that you and the deceased trained at boot camp together, while a dime means you served with him in some capacity. By leaving a quarter at the grave, you are telling the family that you were with the solider when he was killed.

According to tradition, the money left at graves in national cemeteries and state veterans cemeteries is eventually collected, and the funds are put toward maintaining the cemetery or paying burial costs for indigent veterans.

In the US, this practice became common during the Vietnam war, due to the political divide in the country over the war; leaving a coin was seen as a more practical way to communicate that you had visited the grave than contacting the soldier's family, which could devolve into an uncomfortable argument over politics relating to the war.

Some Vietnam veterans would leave coins as a "down payment" to buy their fallen comrades a beer or play a hand of cards when they would finally be reunited.

The tradition of leaving coins on the headstones of military men and women can be traced to as far back as the Roman Empire.

Edited by jonesy
spelling

Having been to many State Veterans Cemeteries and Arlington National Cemetery I would say this is true. Also...Many coins,cans of beer,and decks of playing cards, and packs of cigarettes are often placed at the Vietnam Veterans Wall in Washington DC.

Boomer....a Vet and proud of it.[/SIZE]

While visiting The Wall I got in a conversation with an employee about articles left at loved ones names. A great number of items have been warehoused because of lack of display space. He told us about one couple who drove to the wall and unloaded a Harley Davidson, then walked it down to where their sons name was engraved, then walked away. At the American History Museum we found another exhibit containing items left at The Wall. One item that left me in tears was a wreath left by a mother of a fallen soldier. It contained all the items he would never use. A wedding ring, baby shoes, you get the idea. I had to leave, crying. If you ever get to DC, it is an excellent exhibit if you don't get too emotional.

The Vietnam War Memorial Foundation is planning (and currently soliciting funds) on building an indoor display for all the items left at the Wall. Depending on how the fund drive goes, construction is scheduled to start next year.

If you have not had the opportunity to visit the Wall, it should definitely be on your bucket list.

here's what I've heard and I like this one best... coins are left on graves in remembrance of the deceased. Leaving a coin from your pocket is a way to leave a part of yourself at the burial site. The coin is a visual reminder that, even in death, the memory of the deceased lives on. It is also a sign of respect to the dead, as it shows that their memory has value to you and is something you want to commemorate. I heard in the US it started with Ben Franklin grave and to this day coins are still left....

military.

As for meanings of different denominations of coins. A friend, or an acquaintance that visits may only leave a penny. A nickel would be left by someone that may have been through boot camp, or trained with them, while someone that served in another platoon in the same company may leave a dime. A quarter would be left by someone that served in the same outfit, or was with the soldier when they died.

Read More: Tradition of Coins Left on the Gravestone of a Soldier | http://kygl.com/tradition-of-coins-left-on-the-gravestone-of-a-soldier/?trackback=tsmclip

it is amazing what a person can learn on a motorcycle forum, Thanks to all my fellow veterans :2cents: :)

My thought exactly Woody, this family of ours is nothing short of amazing!! Thanks Jonesy for pointing this out,,,,, had never ever heard this before... Indeed,, thank you too to all Vets,, past - present and future!!:thumbsup2:

On a similar topic, I have noticed a variety of highway "markers" indicating a fatal crash in many States while touring the country.. I have always thought that we bikers should petition for some kind of symbol to indicate if it was a fellow biker.. Kind of a reminder to watch for motorcyclist,, so to speak.. In Michigan it is not uncommon to see a helmet hanging on it cross...

Sorry for the hijack Jonesy...

Puc