IGNORED

LeatherLyke Bags

craigatcsi

I have Black Leather Lyke Bags on my 99 Kaw Vulcan Classic that are pretty faded. I have used Armourall on them for a few years to bring the Black back, but even that doesn't work for long anymore.

i thought about simply painting the Black, but I don't know how to sand them because the surface isn't smooth - it is VERY grainy, ( I guess that is what it is supposed to be ).

Have any of you had any experience with this?

Try some mink oil. Being an ex-GI I pretty much have always had leather boots. I worked outside in elements all the time and very seldom did my socks get wet. All because of good leather care. Mink oil will keep them supple and waterproof. Should get into the grain and eliminate the whitish color.

Hmm OK then I regress to my wifes fix all. Magic eraser sponge. Seriously these things are something else. Other than that maybe the gel type plastic renew stuff. I have some made by turtle wax, its pretty thick stuff.

If they a not leather then you can clean them really really good and get some vinyl die and radii them. check with a paint supplier I have used the PPg product is good and also a company called SEM they also have a good product but I must stress they must be free of all old cleaners and protectants in order to stick and last. Ask the rep. where you buy them and follow their steps both have a precleaner

I have done some things that had a grainy surface. The plastic molding in my 86 Monte Carlo had to be painted. I used Acetone to wipe every thing down then used a good vinyl paint and sprayed them. You can get it at most auto parts stores. I would use a semi gloss paint for the bags.