IGNORED

YammerDan, Tech Sargent Coffey or anyone with both a 1st and a 2nd Gen....

cowpuc

Hey you guys,,, I have a person interested in doing some bike swapping - he has a 99 RSV to use for fodder.. Guys way north of us, thus far its all just chatter - told em I would think it over and get back to him..

Having never ridden one, Tip and I went down to the local Yam Shop and sat on a left over (part of Tippy's most excellent Birthday Party yesterday :cool10:).. She really really did not care for how high the rear seat sets or its "feel".. This may sound insane to some folks but I KNOW it wont to Coff and pretty sure it wont to Yammer... If there is ANY chance that one of you two troublemakers has the seat off your 2nd Gen and happen to have the seat off your 1st Gen too,, could one of you guys set the 1st Gen seat on the 2nd Gen and see if you think it could be adapted.. Even a pic of a 1st Gen seat resting on top of the seat on a 2nd Gen may help.. What the heck,, never hurts to ask right.... :stirthepot:

Anyone else have any thoughts or experience on this,, I would LOVE to hear your input, especially appreciate any pics of one if someone has done this..:stirthepot:x2

You have peaked my interest, so I will check it out for you. I am almost 100% sure it will not work. I don't think y'all would like a second gen. After being on my 1st gen, the second gen seems small and the seats are small and pretty instead of the big comfortable couch that my 1gen has.

Just remember Tweeks is a sport touring bike where as a 2nd gen is just a touring bike.

You have peaked my interest, so I will check it out for you. I am almost 100% sure it will not work. I don't think y'all would like a second gen. After being on my 1st gen, the second gen seems small and the seats are small and pretty instead of the big comfortable couch that my 1gen has.

Just remember Tweeks is a sport touring bike where as a 2nd gen is just a touring bike.

I couldn't disagree more. I've an 87 First Gen and an 06 Second Gen with pillowtop seats.

They are completely different bikes, and I love them both, but, at least with the pillowtop seats, my Second Gen is more comfortable, Hands down.:cool10:

Puc, a huge difference in the two bikes! I have had both,still have the 2nd gen, I was shocked at the learning curve getting on the 2nd. Lori loves the seat (pillow top) it is great on the long rides like I know you two enjoy although I don't think there is as much room for stickers.

I was lucky enough to be able to keep my 86 until I was sure I could enjoy the 02.

the biggest things are 1, the heavy front end and 2, the heal toe shifter. Comfort is there, just takes some time to wrap your head around the changes.

Thanks, I have the 84 with removable bags, so I do have to remove them. No lids on the MKI

No you can get to the bolts without removing bags. I know I'm late. The seats are completely different but probally could be adapted. I'll have to look. Might not be a bad idea. But it still won't make it run like a 1st Gen.......:whistling::draming:

Hey you guys,,, I have a person interested in doing some bike swapping - he has a 99 RSV to use for fodder.. Guys way north of us, thus far its all just chatter - told em I would think it over and get back to him..

Having never ridden one, Tip and I went down to the local Yam Shop and sat on a left over (part of Tippy's most excellent Birthday Party yesterday :cool10:).. She really really did not care for how high the rear seat sets or its "feel".. This may sound insane to some folks but I KNOW it wont to Coff and pretty sure it wont to Yammer... If there is ANY chance that one of you two troublemakers has the seat off your 2nd Gen and happen to have the seat off your 1st Gen too,, could one of you guys set the 1st Gen seat on the 2nd Gen and see if you think it could be adapted.. Even a pic of a 1st Gen seat resting on top of the seat on a 2nd Gen may help.. What the heck,, never hurts to ask right.... :stirthepot:

Anyone else have any thoughts or experience on this,, I would LOVE to hear your input, especially appreciate any pics of one if someone has done this..:stirthepot:x2

You really have to ride one before you ditch the seat. I ask my wife she says the 99 is way better ride than the 93, she can't tell much dif. in the the seat height( we have pillow tops redone by mister Buttler)And she also adds that the 99 wont pull the front wheel off the ground in 2nd gear like the 93 lol.You and her can come down here and ride mine around and see how ya all like it before you jump into something you wont be happy with. I know for me the 99 is way better on my body than the 93.:) Like i say you more than welcome to come check mine out before you trade.

Whew!! I can see this one going the way of a best oil thread.... :) I have all sorts of 1stGen seats, both OEM and custom. Even have a Corbin on the '91. Same thing with the 2ndGens. Early OEM's, Pillows, Butler Pillows, Corbins, but I'm gonna wait and see where this thread heads before going out and playing photographer. That said, I really don't think a 1st can be adapted to a 2nd. Not so much because of the attachment points, but because of the pan depth of a 2nd sits much deeper than a 1st. I think you should be looking at modifying a 2nd for a 2nd....

Oh man Sarge,, I am sorry to hear about your being sick, hoping and praying it is over with and is nothing contagious!! Especially being around those kids of yours!!!! Prayers Up Sonshine!! :backinmyday:

Thank you for getting back with me about the seat and for your time in checking it out. Certainly doesnt look real promising does it,, that Gen 2 frame/rear fender placement appears almost designed like a chopper frame - lowww slung...

Hmmmm,,,, back to the drawing board I reckon..:stirthepot:

I have been thinking a lot about you and Tippy on a 2nd gen. Because of its riding position and handling characteristics, you would be only allowed to travel on hard paved roads and very light travels on some hard packed trails. Sand and double tracking would be a thing of the past.

I have been thinking a lot about you and Tippy on a 2nd gen. Because of its riding position and handling characteristics, you would be only allowed to travel on hard paved roads and very light travels on some hard packed trails. Sand and double tracking would be a thing of the past.

Very observant Coff... Its funny you bring this up,, Tip sat on that Gen 2 at the shop and made the comment that she felt "wobbly" and "unstable" compared to ol Tweeks,, making her wonder about off roading like that.. Lets see if we are all thinking similar here.....

Is this kinda where you are going in your thoughts = having the trunk/tent and Tip sitting so high above my waste line would sure make for some strange center of gravity dynamics,,, also having forward controls so I cant stand up would make it even worse?

On another note, I think a Gen 2 with a side hack would be fun and solve some issues but,,, limiting on the snake trailing and she wont ride in one anyway.. We have tried one and she said every time she climbed in she could here the Hogans Heros theme playing in her ears and picture KlinK in the side car rolling free of the bike :rotf:..

Very observant Coff... Its funny you bring this up,, Tip sat on that Gen 2 at the shop and made the comment that she felt "wobbly" and "unstable" compared to ol Tweeks,, making her wonder about off roading like that.. Lets see if we are all thinking similar here.....

Is this kinda where you are going in your thoughts = having the trunk/tent and Tip sitting so high above my waste line would sure make for some strange center of gravity dynamics,,, also having forward controls so I cant stand up would make it even worse?

On another note, I think a Gen 2 with a side hack would be fun and solve some issues but,,, limiting on the snake trailing and she wont ride in one anyway.. We have tried one and she said every time she climbed in she could here the Hogans Heros theme playing in her ears and picture KlinK in the side car rolling free of the bike :rotf:..

I stand on the running boards on my 99, but I sure as heck wouldn't take it off road. I don't know if going away from factory sized tires would help at all. I can tell you one thing, as nice as my RSV rides going down the road, I definitely feel her movements more on this bike than my old one (800 Marauder) and it has to be how high she sits because as heavy as this one is you'd think it would react as much as the previous bike let alone more so. It doesn't bother me now that I've ridden it for a while, just took a little bit to get used too.