IGNORED

I need an Elmer

Kc9ojn

In the Amateur Radio world we call guys that have been there done that and willing to pass there wisdom on "Elmer's". I am looking for someone willing to look over my shoulder or I look over his in the Midwest as I do some little things on my 88 VR. I am getting ready to rebuild the carbs and the starter clutch is needing some looking at. I have turned wrenches on all my own stuff for years but this clutch thing has me a little gun shy and my local shop looks at my awesome old bike and makes it clear he does not want anything to do with it. I have not checked with the shop in Morton IL but I have heard he works on the old gems. But I would much rather find someone that can help ME do the work. any direction would be great.

Guest tx2sturgis

Heck I was all ready to jump in with my sleeves rolled up to help you with tuning antennas or tuning an amp...station grounding or soldering techniques..maybe some advice on your first HF rig.

Looks like we need one of the 1stgen guys to help out. I bet a specific thread that says something like "rebuilding clutch on first gen" will get you dozens of replies. You have to use the right bait.

How's that for Elmering?

:happy34:

Rod,

The carbs are very detailed, not that you can't do them (I'm sure you can) but they have to be broken atleast in half to be able to get at the floats to set them properly. The starter clutch isn't real hard, you may want to check with Dano as he was making an upgrade for the 1st gens that works great. I have installed a couple of them on different machines and they work well.

You may also want to check with Dingy as I believe he has a link to a dvd of a complete tear down and rebuild of V max carbs, which are practically identical to the Ventures. If you want to chat my # is in my profile.

TX2 sounds like we would get along great,HMMM how am I going to fit this screwdriver on the gen 1 LOL. I have been a Gen class for some time and have a full G5RV in the back yard. Its all the wife will let me have LOL. It does some great DX but I drool over some of the other setups in the area. The Mod seems to be the no brainer way to go. I will look at what its going to read the thread some more today I know it will let me know what its going to take. As far as the carbs a better break down would be nice, I have the book but the guy taking the pics must have been in 6th grade. I pulled the carbs 2 times now and had them split ( all apart but the sync rod) Had to clean them up a bit to get it running when I got it but I did not have the kits. Now that I have the Kit I will spend some time on them, Bike will be down a couple days anyhow with the Mod. Thanks the site has been a gold mine. Would still love to hook up with some of the IL guys soak up some of that great wisdom on keeping this gem alive for some time.

73's TX we will have to meet up on the air some time. :thumbsup2:

We live just west of Joliet (Plainfield) and obviously we're not that far apart. You'll probably get all the help you need with your carbs here, but if need be I could take a ride. I'm not home now, my wife and I are out wearing our 89's tires back down to normal. You do know that bike tires grow when the bike is unused for a long time, and you have to wear them down before they grow too big and can't spin.

Frank---KA9J

You're a bit south of me, I am up here in Milwaukee. I've done the Dano starter clutch swap, it's not all that hard to do, most of the hard work is getting the chunk of stuck-on mass that is the flywheel off, as it's most likely been on for decades. Everything else is unbolting & bolting, quite simple actually thanks to Dano doing all the tricky work of getting everything aligned properly and ready to bolt on.

As for the carbs, I've had mine apart and cleaned, but haven't really dis-assembled them too far. Most of the time it's the idle jets that need cleaning, and a proper sync once re-assembled.

My weekends are packed thru late Oct (son has football games) but if you ever want to meet up maybe we can work something out. Altho there are quite a few helpful folks that live in your area that might be able to assist you too.

-Andrew

was down your way yesterday, my number is also in my profile, give me a text any time or call after 5pm

if it,s a dealer ya want, call Gieson Motorsprts in Rock Falls Illinois 815-626-1751

fred is the ace wrench there and ain't skeerda workin on the ol'e galz!:detective: