IGNORED

Replacing the low fuel indicator light...

My low fuel light is very dim. I do not notice when it comes on so I end up running out of fuel, turning the reserve on, and then finding the nearest gas station.

My Yamaha dealer wants two hours of labor to replace the low fuel light. It can't be that hard. I can get the 3W bulb for $3.00. I googled for instructions to replace the low fuel light bulb and I can't seem to find the answer. Is it difficult or is it easy? How do I replace the bulb?

Thanks!

I am not completly sure will have to look in service manual. But even if you have to split the fairing thats only like 30 min or so. 10 min maybe to change the,bulb and 30 min to put back together. 1.5 tops. Soumds like they want you to pay for their learning experience. If nobody jumps in Ill look it up and let you know. Mine does not come on straight away full bright. It starts dim and the longer I go the brighter it get say in 10 min or so.

Edited by djh3

My low fuel light doesn't come on until about the time I would need to switch to reserve and the low fuel mileage counter comes on. I run with the petcock on "reserve" all the time, so it's been a while since I paid any attention to it. It does seem like the light comes on dimly at first and gets brighter within a few miles.

You might try running on "reserve" and see if the fuel mileage counter comes on, and the light comes on about the same time. Maybe carry a gallon can of gas along just in case the experiment goes wrong...

The low fuel light starts dim and gets brighter. It generally begins to illuminate about the same time the gage switches to the counter. When the gage switches you usually have 5 to 15 miles until reserve. I would watch the gage more than the light as the light may be hard to see in daylight or may still be in dim mode.

Running out of gas and having to switch to reserve is a pretty distinct indicator that you are down to about your last gallon. This has saved me from running completely out on more than one occasion.

Mike

I would be on the side of the road if it wasn't for the reserve. It has saved me many times. Unfortunately, my eyesight is not the greatest. I do not notice when the odometer switches over to the Fuel Counter. In addition, sometimes I am enjoying the ride and I do not notice that my fuel gauge has dropped to the last bar. I need a bright light to say "Hey dude! You need to get some gas now!"

Thanks for the idea about the wire under the plastic housing that surrounds the ignition switch. I will follow the wire and see if it leads to the low fuel light. If not, I may be splitting the fairing!

The low fuel light starts dim and gets brighter. It generally begins to illuminate about the same time the gage switches to the counter. When the gage switches you usually have 5 to 15 miles until reserve. I would watch the gage more than the light as the light may be hard to see in daylight or may still be in dim mode.

Mike

This^^^

I personally run my bike in reserve all the time. I usually fill up when the fuel guage removes the last segment at "E" and at that time it repeadidly takes 5.1 - 5.2 gal.

I fill up when the fuel light/Trip F comes on it only takes 4 gallons. When Trip F comes on I can usually go 35-40 miles until the last segment on the fuel guage goes off.

Jay