IGNORED

91 vr electrical problems

Ok what I have is a 91 vr with what I think is a ground or some sort of electrical problem. What happens is in gear with kickstand up going down the road the instrument panel does not work. At least the electrical parts dont. Stop with bike in gear and hold the clutch in and then put bike on side stand all electrical works . Through all of this the horn will not work. With bike in gear and side stand down instrument panel works until you try to use the horn then it all goes out. The horn never blows. With sidestand down and bike in gear change to nuetral and instrument panel goes out again..............any ideas as Im tired of working on this bike and considering just selling it and moving on to something different?

Any help will be apreciated

Thanks in advance

David

Ok what I have is a 91 vr with what I think is a ground or some sort of electrical problem. What happens is in gear with kickstand up going down the road the instrument panel does not work. At least the electrical parts dont. Stop with bike in gear and hold the clutch in and then put bike on side stand all electrical works . Through all of this the horn will not work. With bike in gear and side stand down instrument panel works until you try to use the horn then it all goes out. The horn never blows. With sidestand down and bike in gear change to nuetral and instrument panel goes out again..............any ideas as Im tired of working on this bike and considering just selling it and moving on to something different?

Any help will be apreciated

Thanks in advance

David

It seems the common denominator for most of your issues is the ground.

Check the connector in the smaller wire from the negative battery post. Run a continuity test from that connector to the chassis ground.

• 2 months later...

OK I know this is old and I have sold the bike but it is still in my drive. my cousin is buying it and is making payments so Im holding it till its paid off. now for the question. Could all of this be battery related?. Reason I'm asking is the bike has set for the last month or so so I decided to put in some Stabil and Seafoam just to keep things moving. Bike would not start , dead battery. So I used my work van and used the battery to jump the venture. And no the van wasn't running. Funny thin is while the cables were on each battery all of the electrical problems wet away. UNhook the cables and the bike ran just fine but none of the electrics would work. Im confused. IM not going to fix the venture it his to fix but I would like to be able to point him in a direction.