IGNORED

Start in neutral, shift to first with lurch

Riddle me this; I can't figure this out...

1984 Venture; bike has 92k miles, clutch bled, final gear oil changed, cold idle at 800 rpm.

When cold, it starts in neutral, without difficulty or problem. But, when I put it into 1st (yes, the kickstand is retracted), the bike strongly lurches forward, stalls, then does not want to go back into neutral unless I move the bike forward and back first. Then, back to neutral and again, it starts just fine and now shift easily into first gear and no more problems, until the bike is started when cold again.

Flushed out the clutch fluid, replaced it with Valvoline Synthetic Dot 3 brake fluid, bled the system. No change; same problem pattern. Next, drained and replaced the final drive oil. No change, same problem pattern.

I'm stumped, but thinking perhaps it may need to warm up first, but this was never a problem before.

But wait, there's more!!! I did not bleed the clutch at the banjo bolt, at the master, and will try that tomorrow. Could this be it????

Any ideas, anyone???

:sick:

Edited by azxvz1284
left something out

It's the engine oil. Mine does that after sitting for a few weeks in the garage. So before starting, I shift into 2nd and 'break' the sticking clutch loose, then start the bike. After initial 'unsticking' the clutch, there's no problem till once again the bike sits unused for a lengthy period. I'm using Shell Rotella 15-40 and the clutch probably won't stick if I used a genuine mc oil........ but I can live with it because the Rotella is good stuff.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

When I had my 85 it would do that all the time. I usually shut it off by putting the kickstand down, then turning off the key and lights. When I would go to start it, I would sit on the bike, turn the key, flip up the kickstand, and then push the starter, which would make the bike chuck forward a bit but mostly would settle back where it came from. Yep, it's the oil I think, and I always used a good brand of diesel oil.

Riddle me this; I can't figure this out...

1984 Venture; bike has 92k miles, clutch bled, final gear oil changed, cold idle at 800 rpm.

When cold, it starts in neutral, without difficulty or problem. But, when I put it into 1st (yes, the kickstand is retracted), the bike strongly lurches forward, stalls, then does not want to go back into neutral unless I move the bike forward and back first. Then, back to neutral and again, it starts just fine and now shift easily into first gear and no more problems, until the bike is started when cold again.

Flushed out the clutch fluid, replaced it with Valvoline Synthetic Dot 3 brake fluid, bled the system. No change; same problem pattern. Next, drained and replaced the final drive oil. No change, same problem pattern.

I'm stumped, but thinking perhaps it may need to warm up first, but this was never a problem before.

But wait, there's more!!! I did not bleed the clutch at the banjo bolt, at the master, and will try that tomorrow. Could this be it????

Any ideas, anyone???

:sick:

Go get some Valvoline MC wet clutch specific 20-50w motor oil and change the engine oil. That should solve your problem.

I dont know how you bled your clutch, but if you use the old pump up method you can actually squeeze a bubble of air into a hundred little bubbles making it really difficult to bleed all the way.

If all this other stuff doesnt work, just got out and put a vacuum to the bleed port for the clutch. Just make sure you dont pump up the clutch before hand. I just use a clear plastic hose and a little hand vacuum pump.

Just dont do what I did and suck the system completely dry!!!:225:

:080402gudl_prv: