IGNORED

Fuel pump

I have been having an intermittent problem with my fuel pump. Without any other symptoms the bike will stall because the pump has stopped. I have changed the fuel pump, pump relay, filter and TCI without any luck. If I tap on the pump it will start. I was able to check the voltage to the pump when it wasn't working, the voltage was all over the place and never got a good reading. I have an 1100 mile trip planed for next month and would really like to get a good fix. :confused:

"Voltage all over the place" would indicate a bad connection or bad ground. Even bad wiring somewhere in the pump circuit. You could try to power the pump directly from the battery using a fused jumper. This would confirm or eliminate the wiring issue.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

To test the pump, I removed the pump discharge hose after closing the petcock. Attach a hose from the pump into a gas can. Find the wire that runs from the relay to the pump and use a jumper wire to power the pump. If it pumps, the problem is the relay or somewhere between the ignition switch and the relay.

I tested the voltage at the relay and it would drop to 10 volts which isn't enough to power the pump. To solve the problem, I cleaned the connections going to the relay and pump, cleaned the contacts inside the kill switch and replaced my glass fuses with a new fuse box. I haven't had the problem since.

You can also test the voltage at the back of the relay plug while it's plugged into the relay. Test at start and while it's running. Turn on lights and accessories to see if the voltage drops.

Here's the post regarding my problem:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=84989&highlight=fuel+pump+issue

Edited by Donvito

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...