IGNORED

Chrome Trim on Faring

I removed the Chrome strip on the faring this AM. No problems. However, when I was putting it back on, the center opening appears to be missing a plastic mount to hold the center tab on the strip tight. Is there a plastic insert? or is it just supposed to be open rectangular space? The center tab does not snap and hold, how can it? Thanks David

It sounds as if you accidently broke off the center locking tab that is part of the chrome strip.

When removing the chrome piece from the fairing, the little tabs are EASILY broken off.

I remember when I broke mine and know of many who broke theirs.

You can place a 2 inch strip of two way sticky tape under the chrome piece in the area where the tab is broken to hold it on place. Or you can put a piece of sticky substance (similar in nature to gum) that would be shapeable and sticky enough to hold the chrome strip on. Now I'm not saying to use gum here...but something like a small bead of clear calk just in the area it is broken and it should hold it. don't use the calk around the whole piece of trim or you wont get it off in one piece..

There is a thread in the read only tech section on repairing the windshield chrome trim tabs.

I didn't break my centre tab but for the outer ones you can use speed nuts. Form them to the right size and epoxy it in.

FYI..The two outer nuts are for top edge flange of the fairing / windshield, not the chrome piece if I remember correctly.

Sounds like OP has the centre clip broken. The repair I mentioned is for the other clips in between the middle and outer.

See http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=516 for repair of the tabs. Not sure if this would apply to the centre clip. If you still have the piece that broke off you can use abs cement to glue it back into position and reinforce it with fiber glass.

The left tab on mine is broken. This is the tab where the bolt goes through the inside of the fairing into the tab on the chrome piece. I have tried gluing the tab but it won't hold. This is the second chrome piece that this has happened to.

• 3 weeks later...
The left tab on mine is broken. This is the tab where the bolt goes through the inside of the fairing into the tab on the chrome piece. I have tried gluing the tab but it won't hold. This is the second chrome piece that this has happened to.

I had the same problem. Crazy glued it then used a solder gun and melted the plastic together lightly. Holding strong!

I removed the Chrome strip on the faring this AM. No problems. However, when I was putting it back on, the center opening appears to be missing a plastic mount to hold the center tab on the strip tight. Is there a plastic insert? or is it just supposed to be open rectangular space? The center tab does not snap and hold, how can it? Thanks David

that loose center hole is just a guide, it does not snap in at all

just be sure all your smaller tabs are there and installed properly.

mike