IGNORED

Stove problem

Venturous Randy

I have a Frigidare/Electrolux glasstop stove that has an oven problem. The broiler quit and we found that one of the terminals had broken and thought it was fixed. After replacing the terminal, we still don't have the broiler and now the bottom element is not heating. In checking both for power, they both have 120 volts coming to one side of the elements. It is my understanding that with the elements unplugged and turned on, I should have 120 volts to each side, therefore 240 volts across the elements. It appears to have 120 volts across each of the incoming wires.

This thing has a lot of electronics in it and I wonder if it is worth fixing.

Any strove or appliance gurus out there?

RandyA

Keep in mind that if you're checking for power at the element with wires connected, your 120v at both sides of element is likely a reading through the element itself. What I mean is that you're reading 120v where it supplies element, then again after it passes through the element, then through your meter to neutral or ground.

It's quite possible that the 120v you're reading is, by design, supposed to be powered all the time, with the other side of the 240v circuit being switched by the thermostat / safeties.

Point being, that just because you're reading 120v doesn't mean that the stoves' controls are calling for the element to be energized.

I do commercial / industrial HVAC work for a living, and usually get around this stuff pretty well, but every time I end up working on household appliances.....once I start following the shematic.....I'm amazed at how complicated they make these things.:detective:

The elements run on 220, so in order to check that you need to set your meter to 500ac and then put one probe on each lead of the element. Checking one side at a time will not tell you if you have 220. Also, the element needs to be turned on to do this check. If you only get 120, then there is a break izn the circuit, which could be the switch.