IGNORED

Lots of “little” questions on ’83 VR

Does anyone have a digital copy of the owners manual? That might answer a lot of my questions about this bike. But if anyone has feedback on the following concerns I’d appreciate it.

There is a rocker switch with a green lens. It doesn’t light up on or off. What does it do?

Left turn signal does not work unless I first engage the right.

Brake fluid reservoir warning is lit. But all reservoirs are full.

I see in the specs a Compression Ratio but what is the Pressure spec?

Kickstand bolt broke. Can’t find one with a shoulder at the local hardware stores. Any idea for a replacement?

Thanks!

Does anyone have a digital copy of the owners manual? That might answer a lot of my questions about this bike. But if anyone has feedback on the following concerns I’d appreciate it.

There is a rocker switch with a green lens. It doesn’t light up on or off. What does it do?

Kickstand bolt broke. Can’t find one with a shoulder at the local hardware stores. Any idea for a replacement?

Thanks!

There is a pdf of a 1984 XVZ12L/DL here. The 1983 is basically the same except for the addition of cruise control on the XVZ12DL. The 1984 instrument panel is different from the 1983, too.

That switch is not OEM. Probably added by a PO for switching lighting or perhaps as a manual cooling fan control. Trace the wires to confirm it's function. The switch may be functioning, but the pilot light on the switch may be burned out or the switch wiring is incorrect to light the pilot light.

If you are SURE the reservoirs are full, (Be very careful when checking the rear brake reservoir, for the reservoir fill plug boss is easily broken off the reservoir. It is best to use a properly fitted wrench to the fill plug boss and 'hold back' on this boss while simultaneously removing the fill plug.), then the switch float is probably hung up in one of the reservoirs. One cannot remove the rear brake reservoir cap (no to be confused with the reservoir fill plug) while the reservoir is on the bike. But one must remove the reservoir cap to check the fluid float switch operation.

The kickstand bolt is available from your Yamaha dealer or any of the online vendors, such as Boats.net. http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-90109-10474-00.html

You may also bore out the hole and insert a hardened grade 8 bolt as is done with the "Dingy Mod". http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?threadid=48342

A note to add to Prairiehammers' great response concerning the brakes is be very careful that you do not get any brake fluid on the plastic. Also, do not fill the reservoirs to the top as it will cause the brakes to lock up when the fluid gets warm. Always carry an 8mm wrench with you so you can relieve some fluid pressure if you need to. Unless the brakes have been modified, the left front caliper and the rear brake are linked together.

RandyA

Thanks!

The best one I have seen is on ebay it's called "Tech Spark' and includes generic how to on bikes too as well as some games!

On the brake light. Make sure you reserves are only filled to the middle of the sight glass. This holds true for the left hand clutch as well.

On the brake light, there is a baffle in the top of the rear reserve that will sometimes get extended down into the reserve holding the float under the surface, and it needs to be collapsed again. The only access is through the fill hole, unless you want to take the thing off, and it's best to leave well enough alone... Take a short piece of coat hanger with a 1/2" 'L' and you can reach inside and pull up to partially get the baffle collapsed enough to allow the float to .... Float... instead of being held down and triggering the light.

• 3 weeks later...