IGNORED

Which year 1st Gen

EasyRider

IIRC, there was a Consumer Reports Magazine article several years ago that concluded based on repair surveys, that the '88 and '89 VR was the most trouble free (least amount of dealer repairs) in the entire production series.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

I have plans (that are pisappearing) for a 84. A 1200 Royale in good shape will spank most of the others unless you have a freak like my 86. That bike should not run as it does. That's tough question. I could really dress that 86 now but it has 80k. How much longer can it run as great as it does before it starts loosing that power?? I think starting from scratch I would go for a later one after tranny and frame woes. 86-93?? Are you completely cornfused now??

A 1200 Royale in good shape will spank most of the others

Dan.... don't fool yourself. If 1/4 mile drag race times and end speed is considered as a mark, then the MkII VR1300 is the champ. This was shown in Cycle Magazine test reports. The 1300 is 7 more hp, a few lbs. heavier, but some few 10ths of a second quicker and 2-3 mph faster. There ain't no substitute for cubic inches!!

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

If I had my choice of 1st gens it would probably be a 85 with the tyranny fixed. It has the bigger trunk but still retained the removable side bags. Not that removing them was all that great, just that they looked better on the bike. {Each to his own} The old saying the more gadgets the more fixing you have to do. I had a 83 standard that I fixed the transmission put a aftermarket radio on it, a thumb operated throttle lock and we rode it everywhere. Now we have a 86 with all the whistles. Its alright but relies on to many gadgets. Always having to massage it. They all have issues, but as been said overpriced flea-bay parts are plentiful right now.:D