IGNORED

interesting 1982 Virago

bendtdj

I saw this advertised on the South Dakota Craig's List.

http://sd.craigslist.org/mcd/4540357164.html

I have never seen one with the bags and trunk. It looks like a bunch of First Gen parts were used. Looks to me that the trunk, side bags, handle bars, and wheels were all from a Venture, or these parts were used on the Venture. Has anyone seen one like this?

Dave

The trunk has the look of a 1st gen, the side bags don't have the sculpting for the signal lights, the fairing looks to be Windjammer unit. I think it may have been a dealer optioned bike, or a competitor the small 500cc Honda Goldwing. I'm just guessing here.

I bought a new '82 Virago 920 and enjoyed the bike. Yamaha came out with a tour package for it that included these accessories. I don't remember it looking quite like the one in the picture.

I toyed with the ideal of purchasing this package, but bought a new '83 Venture instead. I've always been happy with that decision, as I rode that bike until 2006 when I purchased my current ride, the '06 RSTD.

The 920 had a vibration at 55mph that encouraged you to ride either faster or slower to avoid it. Other than that, it was a good bike. Just didn't fit my 6'7" body as well as the Venture.

That bike looks nice. However, I owned a 1983 Yamaha 750 Virago for a while and I didn't like it. I didn't like the vibration and the lack of power from the V-twin. I much prefer a smooth, powerful 4 cylinder bike such as the two I have now.

I think I've seen the same style handlebars on other Yamahas, but the trunk & saddlebags are NOT Venture ones. As noted earlier, the saddlebags do not have the turn signal cutout, and the trunk seat back is attached to the trunk instead of being set into the trunk. Plus I think even the '83/84 trunk is larger than that one. I still will take the Venture over a Virago too.

-Andrew