IGNORED

K&N air filter?

oldgoat

ok when I bought stella from leadwolf56 or should I say tinkerbell his wife?

it has a K&N air filter on it.with some of the back roads stella and I have been on and the cement dust in this town I live in. I have now reached the time for an oil change and some basic maintenance.

but I was told I have to get a recharge kit to clean a K&N air filter is this true?

also what is the best oil for this Honda shadow ace 750?

I can do this myself as I am not going to pay $125 for an oil change and air filter clean that sounds high to me maybe not?

I have an owners manual as well as a full repair manual. and I know I can do this.

My 2 cents-

If it were me I would replace it with a paper filter or whatever the stock filter was. I've read many times that K&N filters do not filter as well as paper filters.

I admit though that the factory filter for my Kawa ZN700 is a foam filter that is oiled.

The owners manual will tell you what oil you should use for the bike. I would guess 10W40. That seems to be the standard factory recommendation. If you live in a hot area 20W40 may be best although most motorcycle oil that I see is either 10W40 or 20W50.

Most of the Japanese bikes use 10W40 so you should be safe with that if you can't find an owner's manual. Be sure to use a motorcycle specific oil rather than oil for a car. Most car oils these days have "friction modifiers" and if used in a vehicle with a "wet" clutch (such as your motorcycle), it will cause the clutch to slip and ruin it. A few car oils don't have these additives, but unless you know what to look for, it's best to stay with oils formulated specifically for motorcycles. As to what brand ... well you will get all kinds of answers and claims but in nearly 50 years of driving, riding and maintaining various types of vehicles, I've found that staying with known brands and following the manufacturers recommendations for oil change intervals will always work well. Those situations where I've seen people have problems occurred when they went too long between changes or didn't change the filter at each oil change. At that point, you can't really blame the oil producer or filter manufacturer - but you can blame the person who was too lazy or cheap to do the oil and filter changes as required.

Andy

The K&N recharge kit comes with a bottle of cleaning fluid and a spray can of oil. The process is very simple. Just take off your air filter, spray cleaning fluid liberally on the outside of the element, let it set a couple minutes, spray cleaner again, wait a couple minutes then with mild water pressure spray from inside out until water coming through is clear. If at this point the element is still dirty then repeat process, if not let it dry completely before applying oil. The only trick to the oil is do not over apply, just a light coat is all that is needed to the outside only.

I have had very good experience with K&N, I even ran one almost 500k before I sold the truck and it still worked fine. I have them on the RSV and my new truck also.

When my wife had her ACE 750 I ran Castrol Actevo 10-40 semi synthetic oil in it, the bike ran good, shifted smooth and no clutch slippage.

As for the air filter, K&N is a good filter when used properly. Your statement about the cement factory tells me there's lots of fine dust and that is a concern, if I were you, I'd also run a pre-filter on the K&N. K&N's filter better as they collect dirt, a fresh one will allow some fine particles to enter the engine until they get a little dirty, that's why my dune buggies all ran pre-filters, they stop the finer dirt and dust. If you can't run a pre-filter I'd go with a paper filter.

Take a look at THIS link, it shows the pre-filters.

got er done.

it was not as bad as I thought.

cleaned the filter like the kit said too do.

rinsed it from the inside out. let it dry over night as I was in no hurry to get back to the bike.

oiled it like the kit said to do.

changed the oil with 10w 40 Castrol for motorcycle usage?

total time to do this not counting the overnight drying was around an hours time.

total cost to me because I di it myself

$12.00 for the charge kit

and around $45 for oil and new filter

could not find that pre filter for the K&N.

but put one on order

I will install that next oil change or as soon as I get

great advice on that

many thanks