IGNORED

The Best Rides

RoTorKev

What makes for the best rides? I guess I could say that every time I get on a motorcycle it's a great ride because there's few things better that riding a motorcycle. That being said, some rides are set apart, today I had one of those rides.

It was just a short ride but special none the less.

Today is my oldest daughters birthday. A few years ago I started up a tradition of taking the day off on my daughters birthday and taking her out to a Daddy Daughter breakfast, and we always ride the bike. She loves to be on the bike, especially now that I have the Venture.

This year I decided to have breakfast at Molly Browns on old Rt 66.

The weather was perfect, the food was great, and the ride was one of the best.

Most important of all I got to spend some excellent one on one time with my daughter.

I think that the short stretch of Rt. 66 between Victorville and Barstow is about one of the coolest 30 - 40 miles of road anywhere.

It's not mountainous of particularly curvy, but there is so much history and distinct American culture in that little distance, it's just really cool.

I get it completely. My daughter is 24 now and I still love daddy-daughter outings. She took me to the sprint car races Saturday night for my fathers day gift. The gift of time spent together is priceless. Great tradition you have going, keep it up!

I have a daughter 30 she wouldn't ride with me at all.... My other daughter 27 will ride with me... she rode with me Saturday before fathers day and she gave me my fathers day present early as she was headed home at 1st light the next day... I thanked her for the gift but told her the best gift she gave me was riding with me...

this picture was her 1st ever ride on a motorcycle with me over 4 yrs ago...

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc501/1hondaman1100/100_0804.jpg

I agree 100%, my daughter and myself just did our first Port Dover Friday 13th last week, her on her bike, myself and my wife on my bike. It was very cool.

When she comes up to me and asks if I want to do a coffee run or ice cream ride those are special as well......even more special when she pays.

Thanks for sharing.

Mike

In think one of the best rides I ever had was the day my spousal unit decided that she wanted to go for a ride with me. Before, she vowed never to get on a bike again, something to do with a close friend getting hurt bad when she was younger. I never questioned it nor forced the issue. I just know that I love to ride and have for over 40 years and she could see this. (We've only been married for 14 years)

The day I brought the Venture home and parked it in the drive she came out to look at it. She stood there for a long time eyeballin' that big ol back seat. Something to the effect of 'that looks pretty comfortable' and that was the last of it. For about 2 months...

One nice spring Saturday morning she says to me "wanna go for breakfast?". Sure, why not, grabbing the car keys. "wanna take the bike?". Say huh? You wanna go on the bike? "Yes". Quick, let me get a helmet and jacket and set up the intercom before she changes her mind...

So off to breakfast we scoot. 40 miles. Never a complaint, rode fine, chatty the whole way. Funny, She commented that we never talked that much when in a car, or really even at home. I quipped that it was because I didn't have to look at her. Smack! on the helmet! Laugh...

Great breakfast. Then she says "let's take the long way back". So I took her up through some twisty hill country that had lots of scenery. 150 miles more til we get home. Didn't want to push it too much, first time in a very long time on the back of a bike...

She gets off and I don't think I have ever seen her grin like that. Made me glad I never forced the issue with her. And the rest, as they say, has been and will be miles of smiles...

Years ago, I had installed into the passenger seat of my first gen one of those vibration units that was wired to the coils so the faster the engine revved the harder the unit vibrated. :whistling:

I remember having a date with an exceptionally attractive woman for a day ride up into the beautiful mountains of North Georgia. Around lunch time I had planned a picnic lunch at a waterfall off the Richard Russell Scenic Highway. It was a beautiful day, not to hot not to cold. We were the only visitors to the water fall. :whistling:And at that moment I don't believe either one of us were that hungry. One thing led to another and the next thing I recall is that we were both playing in the waterfall naked.:moon: Another thing led to another and well anyway you do the math.:thumbsup2:

Anyho, that day ride turned into an over-nighter when we grabbed a room in Helen.:dancefool:

Now, THAT was a GREAT ride.:cool10:

PS. I totally get the quality time spent with daughters. But, I don't have a daughter and neither of my two sons have the motorcycle gene. This was the best ride story I could remember. Hope it didn't offend anyone.

4 years ago my eldest son called and said "Dad, we should do the motorcycle course together." He was just 18, in his own apt. He'd reached the stage where doing stuff with dad wasn't cool.

I mentally translated his request to "Dad, please pay for my motorcycle course..." but the opportunity to share a weekend together was too good to miss. He lives 3 hours away now. His bike is in my front yard as I get it set up for the season.

My wife did her course last year and rides her own.

Second son has done his course and is doing his road test today. Assuming he passes, once he gets his legs steady on his new (to him) 950 we'll run eldest's bike out to him and come back 2-up on the 950.

Each of the last 4 years, my twins watch for me to pull the bikes out of hibernation and then the chorus starts: "Dad, can we have a ride to school?", and each September the first day of school is a ride in, so they can get their LCF (Look Cool Factor) going right from the beginning. They've got a few years to go before they do the course.

For some reason in May, June, September, and October I tend to arrive a little late at work. Every moment with my herd is precious. The 2-wheel moments more so.

I too love riding with my kids and they all love riding with me they are 13, 10 and 6 and all got their first ride at 5 years of age. my best childhood memories are of rides with dad:322:

Yeah, I don't remember a time when I was a kid growing up that my dad didn't have a bike. I used to love riding with him.