IGNORED

Classic Car with Salvage Title question

Godlover

I have a guy who wants to trade me a pretty sweet 1980 Z28 for my Road Star but the Z has a prior-salvage title. I know how salvage titles effect the value of newer cars but does it make a difference on a 34 year old car? Here is the car: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Camaro-Z28-Coupe-2-Door-1980-Chevrolet-Camaro-Z28-/251551764143?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3a91a74eaf&item=251551764143&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

I plan to look at it tomorrow.....

I guess I should have said it has a rebuilt title - which means that it was rebuilt. The guy bought it that way for $3000 and then had all the work done. He has more into it than what he is asking - which is the case most of the time ---- like me and my Road Star! It looks like a nice car - but will never be a quality show car. I am just looking for a nice driver.....

Well, after some research I decided against the trade. First of all - why wouldn't the guy include the fact that it was rebuilt in the Ebay posting? He told me he sold it twice already on Ebay and the buyers were deadbeats. So, I did a search of past auctions and found that it did sell for 7800 and 8000 but the sale didn't go through. Both people had 100% feedback so I assume when they discovered it was rebuilt the backed out. He wanted me to give him $750 too. I wouldn't sell my Road Star for less than 8500 and I would have to think it over at that price!

Seller has watched to much Barrett Jackson. Maybe if he had paperwork showing why it was on a rebuilt title I would consider it. But not being up front about it, no way. Maybe contact e-bay and let them know.

I think if you look it over real good & it is in as good of shape as he has in his description, it is well worth $8000. I say this as my son works in a custom auto restoration shop, & he is doing one right now. Those parts are very expensive, and the paint alone on this one will cost more than that.

Long time ago I used to buy cars with salvage title form AAA insurance in Los Angeles ....... automobile Club of southern California (AAA) insurance would rather totaled the car and then auctioned it , than dealing with body shops inspectors etc etc, some cars had just small accidents and I wouldn't purchased anything that was hit in the front.

I mainly bought and kept them for myself and they were great, but they were harder to sell than a rock .............. honestly if is not totally necessary I will stay away from it ! specially that you don't know the reason why it was salvaged, in my case I was able to see the damage "guesstimate" the repair.

As I was reading through the three other times he listed it on Ebay - two of the VIN numbers didn't match - that's what did it for me It still needed a bit of work on the front suspension, etc. I think it is a nice car and if it were what I really wanted I would have gone after it. The first two times it sold on Ebay it went for 7800 and 8000 - but one buyer didn't have finances and the other wanted to pay with Paypal. The Seller claims that both new the title was a rebuilt one. If he had disclosed early on that it was rebuilt I would have been more comfortable but he didn't until we were ready to meet. My Road Star has close to 5000 in chrome, etc - and KBB is 7620 - but we know you can't go by KBB. Anyway - he told me that my Roadie was only worth 7500 with all the accessories and at first wanted me to cough up $1500 difference. Then he went down to a $750 difference ---- after that he disclosed the title issue. If the title were clean - I would have given him the difference - but I walked away and am glad I did. An 80 Camaro isn't one of my favorite cars anyway!!!

Typically what I use a reference on used vehicles is a combo of KBB and NADA. Why there is such a spread of the two agencies I dont know. But I will take both and then average them out, and that seems to be pretty fair. Salvage titles kind of scar me. If you know going in you are never going to get retail and are OK with that its one thing. But you sure as heck dont want to pay retail for it either. To many variables on it. If it was a theft recovery and they stole the wheels and interior say thats one thing, but if it was drove into a lake well.....

I have thought more than a few times about pickin gup a salvage title say Victory Vision or Cross Country. But most of the time they are "totaled" is because the plastics is all fubar, and we know how much it costs to replace that stuff even though nothing is really wrong with the bike itself. If I did buy one I would have to go in with the knowledge that I was going to drive it until it quit or I quit.