• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Randy, tell me more about the motor mounts

Sent from my moto X

I am probably not the best one to tell about solid motor mounts, as the set I have are in the motor I am planning to put in my bike whenever I get motivated enough.

Those that have put in solid motor mounts say that it does help the handling of the bike as it makes the engine part of the rigidity of the frame. Some say that it may increase vibration, but I have not heard anyone say that they regret putting them in. I also suspect that carb sync may become a little more critical, but maybe that is a good thing.

If you are interested, you can contact SGN, as he had some made up for us and I don't know if he has any left, or I can talk to him as he lives local to me.

RandyA

You might also consider leaving the YICS system off when you have the engine out, if it was still in service (seeing one open YICS port on #1 intake). The chambers tend to develop leaks as they get older.

Thanks Neil86,

I will look into that. I'm sure if there are vacuum leaks in the yics then something would need to be done. I will pressure test and submerge the yics. Seems like it could be plastic welded. Whatta you think?

Sent from my moto X

Ditto on Neil's suggestion. I disconnected my YICS years ago and eliminated various problems. You don't need it and take it all off.

I did a post on how to plug the ports that is real cheap and works great and it is perminant and you do not have to worry about any rubber plugs deteriating over time.

RandyA

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=86100

Yes, the YICS chamber is prone to age related leaks. I would remove it entirely while I had the chance. It could test OK today, but later a leak would manifest itself. The YICS seemed like a good idea at the time, but even Yamaha decided it wasn't worth the expense and hassle and eliminated it on the 1300.

When the engine is out, it is short easy work to completely remove the YICS chamber. Just makes sure to either make a 'Jason mod' to the remaining open ports or plug the ports.

What is a "Jason mod"? The yics provides an attachment point for the upper fairings, right? I'll look into it further when I am at my computer. Was it done away with on the Mark II or the 2nd Gen?

Sent from my moto X

What is a "Jason mod"?

The Jason Mod is where one interconnects the naked YICS ports on the heads with hose. Do a search on this site for it. Some swear by it, some dismiss it. Here is a link: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=501

The yics provides an attachment point for the upper fairings, right? Was it done away with on the Mark II or the 2nd Gen?

No, the YICS has nothing to do with mounting the fairing. In fact the YICS chamber is just barely slipped into the coil mounting bracket. The YICS chamber is not a structural component.

It was eliminated with the MKII. A pic of the YICS chamber:

attachment.php?attachmentid=84680&stc=1&d=1401227269

Edited by Prairiehammer

???????????

After removing the oil pan to access the case bolts that are inside I found this pin. It is about 4mm thick x 17mm long (1/8 x 11/16) It is solid and appears to be hardened.

IMG_20140601_151743584.jpg

It was just laying right here beside Bolt #21. So I'm sure it just landed there on the last flip-over.

IMG_20140601_152458237_HDR.jpg

The motor has been flipped and turned over several times during the cleaning phase.

I think it may have fallen out of something while removing components such as the starter, starter gears.

Before I started to clean the motor I removed the left crankcase cover (generator) and the starter gears fell out. That was when I decide to take the engine outside and clean it. So I put the generator cover back on but not the starter gears.

Of course the starter motor was removed prior to engine removal.

Dingy, please tell me more.

Which section of the parts breakdown would i find the gear shift segment pin?

I don't see how it would have gotten out of the clutch and on the other side of the engine. the engine has not been flipped since cleaning.

Nope. They are all in place. That is not yet disassembled.

Here is a couple of pics so you can see what point I am at.

Components removed before turning engine over and over are starter, generator cover, starter gears cover reinstalled for cleaning.

Components removed after the engine is on the bench as it now sits, are the water pump, generator cover, entire clutch, oil pan

IMG_20140601_174130768.jpg

7IB6CCfJGPkw1qtS80t5jLzN7A9J7laZb-YQ8yqr_bM=w972-h547-no

IMG_20140601_173307403.jpg

IMG_20140601_173128480.jpg

The top pin bracket is bent and the pin is about to come out. Should consider the shift segment upgrade to the 1 piece segment on later year models.

I also agree with Dingy, pin found from shift segment, likely previous owner replaced one that had fallen into the pan.

Brian,

Are you talking about the segment from second Gen? Will the gen1 pins work with the second gen segment. The pins for gen2 are not avail.

Heather

The top pin bracket is bent and the pin is about to come out. Should consider the shift segment upgrade to the 1 piece segment on later year models.

I also agree with Dingy, pin found from shift segment, likely previous owner replaced one that had fallen into the pan.