I need a tire recommendation for my XVZ12DKC2. It's an 83.5 but Yamaha carries that model number in the 1984 year group.

I live in the Pacific North West (US) and we get lots of rain and I ride everyday unless there is ice or snow on the ground.I want everything; good wear, great performance and the same brand front and rear.

The book says she wears a 120/90-18L (front) I don't know what the "L" means.

and a 140-90-16 in the back.

I'd like to buy them as a set.

Thanks.

I'm on my second set of Avon Venoms on my '84. I'm an all weather rider and love the performance on wet roads. Only lost traction once and that was during the rain on closed course during a class.

I had 20k miles on them when i pulled them off. Had a little left on the front but the rear was ready to be gone.

The second set isn't going to last that long. The last 10 months have seen a lot of limerock roads. With the softer compound not the best tire for that.

The main reason for buying them in the beginning was the high sidewall rating. With a 800+ bike, 300 lb rider and pulling a trailer and long days on hot hiways I'll take all the sidewall i can get.

Heard some complaints about cracking problems. No sign of that on my two sets.

From my Droid wherever I may happen to be at any given moment.

I love my Michelin Commander IIs and just bought my second for the back, but they don't make one for the front (so I'm running a D404). I know that on the 2nd Gens, some run a different sized tire on the front. I like the Venoms too, a tire guy at the Barber race track once told me that it is the preferred rain tire on race tracks. That seems to speak volumes!

last 20 years I have used Avons. I just put a Mich.commander2 on the back. They claim better mileage than other tires. Wow, really good cornering tire like the Avon. My front is an Avon...but it is NOT round. Over 85mph the front shakes. I have had it on the spin balancer at 2 different shops and new wheel bearings. This is my last AVON. Also I was told the VenomX was not longer available, now it's the "Cobra". It's a crap shoot with the Avons. I got crap. Just looking for a front for next year because the commander2 is not available for the front on a 1st gen..

I bought Bridgestone Spitfire S11R Sport/Touring Front & Rear Motorcycle Tires, got a good price on Amazon on the rear and ditto for a front tire from some one on Amazon. Got free shipping on all. I also bought that BLACK tire changer that is about table height that I will have to secure to a pallet to use. Lucky I have one!

Thanks all for your input.

Got more details on the tire changer?

Yeah; it's on Amazon: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Changing-Changer-Machine-Portable/dp/B004MC43CI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1399880605&sr=8-3&keywords=motorcycle+tire+changer]Amazon.com: Motorcycle Tire Changing Changer Change Stand Machine Tool Portable Offroad MX: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31%2BueqyrT7L.@@AMEPARAM@@31%2BueqyrT7L[/ame]

last 20 years I have used Avons. I just put a Mich.commander2 on the back. They claim better mileage than other tires. Wow, really good cornering tire like the Avon. My front is an Avon...but it is NOT round. Over 85mph the front shakes. I have had it on the spin balancer at 2 different shops and new wheel bearings. This is my last AVON. Also I was told the VenomX was not longer available, now it's the "Cobra". It's a crap shoot with the Avons. I got crap. Just looking for a front for next year because the commander2 is not available for the front on a 1st gen..

I have bought Dunlop tires (on my first Venture) and the Commander 2s I have on my Road Star. I really like the Commanders, but then I don't have much exp. with tires. I never had a BAD tire so I really am a blank slate on tires.

:225:

The only 'bad' tire I've had with my ventures is DUNLOP. Tread separation at proper inflation, and lots of tread remaining. No adjustment from dunlop either. Bad form. I'll never buy dunlops again.....ever.

BTW, That nice tire changing machine from Amazon still needs a bead breaker and tire spoons....so don't close your wallet yet.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA