IGNORED

Microphonics.......

Ok,

I talked to Bill Morphy who builds the Mic-mutes. He says I have microphonics!!!!

This is not life threatning , nor will I need antibiotics.

But I'm P.O.'d nonetheless.

This is a follow up thread to the mic-mute one I did a couple days ago.

I did a test in the garage. Turn the key to accessory, leave motor off, turned on the stereo, turned down the sound of the music audio to zero. Turned the IC up to 20 with helmet plugged in and then toggled the PTT. The mic would mute but there was still a ton of white noise (background noise, static, whatever you want to call it)

Would those of you with mic-mutes try this test and tell me if you have this same noise. I'm about ready to get ahold of Yamaha mothership if my case is unique and ask about warranty replacement.

Your help with this test would be greatly appreciated.

Look forward to your input.

P.S. if your interested......look up "microphonics" under google or more bike specific to a "goldwing microphonics" search.

Thanks for your input.

Jim

Mine picks up background noise. I think the only way around your problem is with some type of noise canceling device/filter.

Thanks for responding BuddyRich,

I guess there are not many with mic-mutes to help with this test.

but as to your statement "I think the way around your problem is some type of noise cancelling device/filter".........but I nod and bob my head and say....what does mute in mic-mute mean then ??????????

It simply mutes the mics when not in use. When you hit the button and turn the mic back on it will still pick up ALL sound. Even the sound of the wind at 80 mph. I'll try some tests over the next few weeks and try to come up with some kind of filter. Basically what everybody would like to have ( including me) is to only hear voices in the intercom and not the background noise being amplified by the system like it is now.

Buddy,

I know you have good intentions with your replay. And I appreciate it.

I was being facetious and sarcastic with what part of "mute" in mic-mute I was alluding to. Like I said with the test I performed. Key in accessory postion and audio sound at zero, IC at 20, hearing "any" sound im my helmet speakers after keying the PTT on to off......any sound in the off (non-talking) position is to me, unexceptable. If it is a quirk of the electronics of the mic-mute or the inherent craftmanship of the complete audio/intercom/cb unit on the bike is what I'm trying to pinpoint. Bill Morphy said it was in the bike, thus the need for more input from all that will try the test would put me in a position to better pursue and possibly resolve the issue. The concept of the mic-mute is great, but if I have to still constantly adjust the IC volume up and down when cruising down the highway to better enjoy the clarity of my music....then the mic-mute is a toy with no true purpose. The wife and I agreed we can live with the present situation in a around town mode. But out on the Highway.......well......I could have used the money for fuel!!

Jim Crockett

Have you got your CB turned on? If so, is the squelch turned down? I'm just reading a little between the lines here, but it seems that would be a likely area for the noise to come from, if nothing is running or making noise. The noise from the CB does not come from your mics, but from the CB receiver, so the squelch needs to be turned down.

Just a thought.

Have you got your CB turned on? If so, is the squelch turned down? I'm just reading a little between the lines here, but it seems that would be a likely area for the noise to come from, if nothing is running or making noise. The noise from the CB does not come from your mics, but from the CB receiver, so the squelch needs to be turned down.

Just a thought.

Nope....CB off.

I tried it on as well as off as another avenue of possibility. Squelch up or down.....no difference.

Buddy,

my thinking is if I can find the actual schematics for the mic wiring going into the control head.....I could build a filter on that line. But I'm afraid a filter may compromise the volume of the mic output before ampflication by the control head!

So what happens if you turn it on and then cover the mic(s) with you hand, completely inclosed? There should be no noise at all, if there is then something is generating that noise, and that needs to be eliminated. Other than that you are trying to fix an issue that shouldn't be there in the first place.

So what happens if you turn it on and then cover the mic(s) with you hand, completely inclosed? There should be no noise at all, if there is then something is generating that noise, and that needs to be eliminated. Other than that you are trying to fix an issue that shouldn't be there in the first place.

Exactly!!!, and that is what it's doing. Noise there whether the mic is on of off.

Which to me means.....problem in audio control head. I always thought before, when we didn't have the mic-mute that with IC volume having to be turned up loud enough for us to talk to each (cause we wear ear plugs) that it was the nature of the beast, the mic was picking up ambient noise. But now I'm not sure!!

The intercom function is like a telephone, it is always open and you do not need to push the PTT botton. I think you have the volum too high, it doesn't take much to converse with your passenger. With the volum set high it will even give you feed back on the other systems.

The intercom function is like a telephone, it is always open and you do not need to push the PTT botton. I think you have the volum too high, it doesn't take much to converse with your passenger. With the volum set high it will even give you feed back on the other systems.

The Mic-mutes system is a after market add-on that allows you to toggle the mic on and off from the drivers PTT or the Passengers PTT. go to Mic-mutes.com It wires into your exsisting system. If you turn off the mic....where would feedback (noise,static) come from?

I have had the Mic Mute for a couple of years now. It does a GREAT job but it is not designed to eliminate static and etc. It simply turns off your mics to get rid of any wind noise and etc. The fact that you are hearing static and/or engine noise has nothing to do with this product. It is fairly common on the RSV for the headsets to pick up engine noise. The Mic Mute circuit does has nothing to do with noise that you pick up in your speakers, it is just on the mic side. Most people who have experienced noise have found that slight rerouting of the cables where they pass near the coils under the left side of the gas tank will get rid of the problem. All I had to do was reach other there and just slightly move them to the side.

I have had the Mic Mute for a couple of years now. It does a GREAT job but it is not designed to eliminate static and etc. It simply turns off your mics to get rid of any wind noise and etc. The fact that you are hearing static and/or engine noise has nothing to do with this product. It is fairly common on the RSV for the headsets to pick up engine noise. The Mic Mute circuit does has nothing to do with noise that you pick up in your speakers, it is just on the mic side. Most people who have experienced noise have found that slight rerouting of the cables where they pass near the coils under the left side of the gas tank will get rid of the problem. All I had to do was reach other there and just slightly move them to the side.

Don,

the test I did was with the bike not running......so I eliminated the motor , coil, coil wire factor.

I even tried with the audio running on thru the bikes speakers, the IC on and mic-mute PTT mic off position.

• 2 weeks later...

Jim,

I remember our conversation of a few weeks ago. I'm sorry that I misunderstood your question when I assumed that you were referring to a Goldwing and not an RSV. The earlier GL1800 GWs have the microphonics problem, but I didn't realize before reading this that the RSV must also.

Here is what Wikipedia has to say about microphics:

Microphonics describes the phenomenon where certain components in electronic devices transform mechanical vibrations into an undesired electrical signal (noise). The term is derived by analogy to older microphones where that behavior is inherent in the design, while with modern electronics it is sometimes an intentionally added effect.

If you hear the engine running then you indeed have microphonics and there is nothing that can be done because of its inherent in the design of your audio system.

Not really microphonics, your also explaining a amplifier "hiss'. Hiss is expected when you are now able to turn OFF both mics. That's because your intercom is more quiet with the wind and road noises removed by your otherwise open mics and making the hiss more noticeable. I really think that when you run the bike and bring it up to speed there will be many other noises that will cover up any hiss that you hear in a quiet garage.

I'm sorry if you are not satisfied with your Mic-Mutes. I'd be willing to give you a refund if you don't want the system.

www.Mic-Mutes.com

Bill Morphy

I am assumming that the offending noise in your audio system is at the

higher end of the Audio Spectrum ( or human hearing frequency range )

Possibley a different Set of Ear phones might help.

It might also be possible to design an " Audio Filter " to cancel

out the offending frequencies.