IGNORED

exhaust gas analyser

Black wing

is anyone using an exhaust gas analyser that's fairly cheap to buy or even a relatively inexpensive home set up? ive been really wanting to get a perfect tune on my first gen since i got it but i haven't been able to get the air fuel right and have been paying with awful mileage

I used a 3 gas analyzer for years but found that I could better tune the engine the old fashioned way... 'ear', 'nose', and 'feel'.... and checking the plugs. The machine could only be used stationary. The analyzer was finally stolen from my garage and I don't miss it, besides, the theft saved me from having to get rid of it.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

• 1 month later...

EGA, while nice to have access to, will only let you set the mixture at idle ( %CO is all yamaha ever gave a spec for IIRC) . Not sure how you define bad gas mileage or what you think it should be compared to what it is, but if its really bad, just setting the mixture screws is not likely the main culprit.

Assuming the carbs each have good vacuum and sync well and the mixture setting is the only problem you have, the difference in fuel mileage between setting it by putting them all the same # of turns out, setting by ear or with a tach using lean drop method, or setting by EGA, is probably negligible to 2mpg at best.

If this bike is relatively new to you, make sure its running on all four (they run well on just 3), carbs are clean, no air leaks (cracks in the plastic YICS boxes on early models come to mind), fuel tank condition, lines filters, etc.

I wish I still had a good 3 or 4 gas analyzer. Not only are they good for setting the fuel mixture but they will also let you know if you have, or don't have, any other issues. Such as plugs,wires, coils, valves, timing, cams etc.

Mike

I use a "wideband" exhaust gas analyzer made by innovate motorsports. Note that this type of sensor is similar to ones used for fuel injection systems - except that it is designed to function and give readings at fuel/air mixtures that are well away from optimum. The sensors and electronics typically used with fuel injection systems only operate over a limited measurement range since it is assumed that the entire system is stock and never very far away from the design conditions.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/db.php

The biggest advantage with a guage is that you can actually see the engine combustion conditions while it is loaded, in different gears, different speeds, etc. While most people would probably argue that this can be done while the bike is stationary, in actual fact the airflow around a bike can have a big effect on the air pressure at the engine air filter location. If your setup is stock, then I guess you can hope that the Yam engineers thought this through and the effect is minimal. If your setup isn't stock, then you are "wandering around in the forest" hoping to luck out and find the perfect setup by randomly trying different things.

The biggest hassle of this type of system is that it requires you to weld a threaded connection into one of the exhaust pipes - upstream from the muffler. The sensor has to be placed well away from the open end of the muffler where outside air would influence the measurement. I just used the gauge on one pipe and made the assumption that all four are the same since they are set up the same. Probably not perfect, but MUCH better than not measuring anything! When you are done adjusting everything, a threaded plug with crush washer can be used to seal the unused hole. Or you could just leave the sensor in place if you like to watch the gauge permanently. I have more than one bike so it is nice to be able to move the system from one to the other if I have done something that might affect the carb operation.

My venture is highly modified and I simply could not get it running well without some means to actually measure the engine's operating conditions. I never used the software supplied with the system since just watching the gauge while riding really gives a good idea of what is happening inside the engine cylinder.

Hope this is a help to you.

zagger