IGNORED

Attention Ontario Drivers and the rest of you

E-Fishin-C

Ontario
drivers - attention

(please pass on to everyone you know)...

The applicable law is at the end of the e-mail. Section 159.1(2) applies to all four-lane highways and also applies wherever there is a passing lane.

Please see message below.

Hi Friends,

I just had an experience which I hope you will share.

I was driving on the 417 West at Panmure at broad daylight at 2 p.m.,

when I came upon two police cruisers who had pulled over a third

vehicle. I slowed down to be cautious, and was surprised when the second cruiser pulled out and pulled me over.

Approaching on the passenger side, the officer asked if I knew why I

had been pulled over. I honestly expressed that I had no idea.

He informed me that Ontario law now states that when approaching any

emergency vehicle, on the roadside, with lights flashing, you must enter

the left lane. He then proceeded to ticket me, giving three demerits and

issuing a fine of , wait for it, . . . $490! (Yes, I'm choking as I type that.)

I realize I did not change lanes, but I do believe I was cautious. My

message is, be careful. He said that they are cracking down hard on this

because of three injured officers in the last ten days.

I did not realize this was the law. Neither did any of my recently-licensed

children. Or, evidently, not the 47 drivers (I counted) who broke the same

law as I sat waiting to receive my ticket!

Hi,

For my part, I saw this happen today (Feb 24th) on Highway 69 South of Sudbury, on the passing lane on the Magnetewan flats.

A cruiser was parked on the shoulder of the southbound lane with his lights flashing. He had no vehicle stopped, he was just parked there.

I was northbound and reduced my speed, the extra lane was on the southbound side so, there were two lanes between me and the cruiser.

A southbound motorist passed the cruiser without moving to the outer lane and the Officer immediately pulled out and gave chase to that driver.

I saw him stopping him in my mirror before going over the next hill. The car did not appear to be speeding, in fact he seemed to slow, but failed to change lanes and was (presumably) stopped for that reason!

Ted

Read the actual Law below:

Below is the the excerpt from the
Ontario Highway Traffic Act.
relating to this offence. It is under section 159.1 (1), (2), (3),(4),(5).

Approaching stopped emergency vehicle

(1)
Upon approaching an emergency vehicle with its lamp producing intermittent flashes of red light or red and blue light that is stopped on a highway, the driver of a vehicle travelling on the same side of the highway shall slow down and proceed with caution, having due regard for traffic on and the conditions of the highway and the weather, to ensure that the driver does not collide with the emergency vehicle or endanger any person outside of the emergency vehicle. 2002, c. 21, s. 1; 2007, c. 13, s. 20.

Same

(2)
Upon approaching an emergency vehicle with its lamp producing intermittent flashes of red light that is stopped on a highway with two or more lanes of traffic on the same side of the highway as the side on which the emergency vehicle is stopped, the driver of a vehicle travelling in the same lane that the emergency vehicle is stopped in or in a lane that is adjacent to the emergency vehicle, in addition to slowing down and proceeding with caution as required by subsection (1), shall move into another lane if the movement can be made in safety. 2002, c. 21, s. 1.

Same

(3)
Nothing in subsection (1) or (2) prevents a driver from stopping his or her vehicle and not passing the stopped emergency vehicle if stopping can be done in safety and is not otherwise prohibited by law. 2002, c. 21, s. 1.

Offence

(4)
Every person who contravenes subsection (1) or (2) is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable,

(a) for a first offence, to a fine of not less than $400 and not more than $2,000; and

(b) for each subsequent offence, to a fine of not less than $1,000 and not more than $4,000 or to imprisonment for a term of not more than six months, or to both. 2002, c. 21, s. 1.

Time limit for subsequent offence

(5)
An offence referred to in subsection (4) committed more than five years after a previous conviction for an offence referred to in subsection (4) is not a subsequent offence for the purpose of clause (4) (b). 2002, c. 21, s. 1

Many states in the US are or have passed similar laws. I am one who is glad the law is finally here. Although my state still doesn't have it. I've seen or read about too many officers being killed or injured by motorists who won't move over. I had a good friend who had his left side handgun hit by the mirror of a van on a 6 lane highway. The van had plenty of room to move over but didn't. On interstates some, not all, truckers like to play games by seeing how close they can drive by an officer standing on the side of the road with a motorist. If they blow his hat off I understand they get some kind of thrill out of it.

Whenever I pull behind a stranded motorist on the side of the road the first thing I ask is can you start your car and drive way off the side of the highway if possible.

Considering that officers are killed and injured every year working accidents, traffic stops or assisting stranded motorists I believe this is a good law.

Sorry you got the ticket but you should have moved over just as a courtesy. If it's a new law you might have some good luck by going to court and pleading your case.

I found this on the next topic when I finished typing here. It's applicable.

From one of AMA publications.

If you think distracted drivers are potentially dangerous, you're right. What's really scary is how many drivers are multi-tasking out there on the road. According to a recent survey from the industry group Network of Employers for Traffic Safety:

10% of drivers have done work-related tasks while driving, either by reviewing notes, talking on the phone or using a computer.

18% have applied makeup while driving.

32% of drivers admit to having read while driving.

39% have tended to children while driving.

51% say they use a cellphone while driving.

70% admit to eating while driving.

Yep, if not passed yet here in California, its coming up. Like the law about cell phones not applying till July. Seems ashame to have to pass laws about something that should be just plain old common sense.

GA has the law as well but I've never heard of a "trap" ass it were. I think it's a good law but just like any other law, it's the spirit that needs to be enforced not the letter. What if changing lanes would create another problem? If the driver is flying by the emergency vehicle he should be pulled but if the driver slows and moves as far over as possible then the officers should use reasonable judgement.

Just my .02

Guest Popeye

We have the move over, if possible, or slow way down, law here in Kansas.

It doesn't seem terribly applicable for a cautious motorcycle that's slowing down, though, as we can still give them half a lane, and if we hit something...we get hurt.

The law was enacted for those who enjoyed 'buzzing' emergency vehicles [many], or 'gawkers' [most] whom inadvertantly steered where they were staring.

The Newbie cops often abuse many laws so they can utilize their new found authority on the general public. Most grow out of it.

GA has the law as well but I've never heard of a "trap" ass it were. I think it's a good law but just like any other law, it's the spirit that needs to be enforced not the letter. What if changing lanes would create another problem? If the driver is flying by the emergency vehicle he should be pulled but if the driver slows and moves as far over as possible then the officers should use reasonable judgement.

Just my .02

From the laws I've seen you only have to move over if you can safely do so. Regarding your last sentence. If the driver slows down but decides to not move over should this remove any responsibility this driver has if something were to happen to the officer or vehicle occupants? If you can move over than you should move over. Slowing down is one thing, moving over is another. If you've never stood on the side of the road with cars going by at mach 1 you don't know what you're missing.

If you've never stood on the side of the road with cars going by at mach 1 you don't know what you're missing.
Every time it rains....:depressed: This is what I mean by judgement though. If you are able to mobe then do so but if the lane beside you is busy and you do what you can to slow and move as far in your lane as you can then the officer should look at intent and conditions not just write a ticket.

Guest rainearc

Hi everyone,

Florida has a very similar law. On a multilane highway, you must change to the opposite lane. If it is not possible to do so, you must slow down to no more than 20 mph lower than the posted speed limit, or 5mph if the speed limit is 20 mph. In other words, in a 70 mph speed zone you must travel at no more than 50 mph. If you were in a 20mph zone, as in town, you must proceed at no more than 5 mph.

Be careful all y'all

Carl

The law in texas is you must move over if there is an other available lane. if there is not an available lane you must slow to 20 mph below the posted speed limit.

The sad part is that there is a need for these laws , anybody with half a brain should know to give as much room as possible to any vehicle or person on the side of the road.