IGNORED

RSTD vs 2nd Generation

My Son In Law just purchased a 2001 Second Generation(38,000 miles, Lots of Extras and Chrome, Like New Condition, Sweeet Bike, $5,700.00) I've had several Venture Bikes, 3 First Generation, 1 Second Generation... I now own my first RSTD and after riding my son in laws new bike to have it inspected, I'm convinced my 2005 RSTD is the best motorcycle i've ever owned and i've owned 34 motorcycles in my short 55 years. ( I understand it's all personal preference of course...)

Funny thing about motorcycle "reviews".

1st, if you are reviewing a bike you wanted to purchase you are naturally biased

2nd if you are reviewing a bike someone asked you to ride and review you will be naturally critical.....unless it is an 2nd Gen RSV setup like mine:rotf:

Seriously, I decided on an RSV and then read every review I could get my hands on and they all were like #2 - critical, but I wasn't dissuaded. I bought mine and literally fell in love. I love the look, I love the ride, I love how much it cost, I love to ride it, I love to polish it. I love to embellish it ( now mounting 1970 air horns on it). I have never ridden an RSTD but I hear great things about them, IF you seeking that style of bike ( cruiser style) - I was seeking Touring and have done two Iron Butts with ease on my RSV.

I love this type of thread. Thanks for listening to my love affair with my RSV.

VentureFar...

I have never bought a motorcycle I didn't want to buy. I also have not loved every bike I ever owned either. That 1st AJS was a nightmare. The 1972 BMW was a great bike but it was bland as bland could be and had no soul.The Norton, well I should have never sold it. It took me 12 years to be able to buy my 2008 RSTD and I hope to buy another soon. It too is the best bike ever owned. It looked great,ran great, felt great and never disappointed me in 35k+. If I hadn't wrecked it I would still be on it. I liked it better then the RSV, which I also wrecked.

I wanted a bike with a faring, radio and electric cruise control. I could have lived without the faring if you could get the cruise, inter comm and radio. Its all what you want. Other than the couple things I mentioned the TD is the same bike.

Got both.

The RSTD is my fun,,, solo bike. It's also my daily commute when warmer. I put a short shield on it last year so I get wind in the face.

My RSV is my two up and distance rider. Warmer in the winter.

More comfort on long solo rides. Tall F4 windshield.

If my wife said I had to get rid of one,,,, would miss her.

(Actually,,, she enjoys the RSV comfort, so haven't invited her on the RSTD much.)

Please don't get me wrong I love ALL Venture Motorcycles... However for me the RSTD is a Cruiser/Touring masterpiece, I really like the way it handles, looks and feels... I've always said you NEVER put down a man's motorcycle or woman, but if you have to make a choice:"Leave The Motorcycle Alone!" (lol)

Knowing what I do now radio and comm wise I would probably look into just blue tooth between the wife and I. That way it probably is a bit clearer and your phone could be connected also if you wanted and could have radio/mp3 player. So the cruise is the big factor. I don't know if the TD had electronic cruise.

I have the same kind of issues with the Victory if I changed rides. To get electronic cruise on the cross roads its like $1200 and headsets would run me probably $180-200 for decent ones. Plus would have to add on the windshield. I think the Cross Country with the fairing is only like $1500-2000 more than the CR. I'm terribly spoiled with the cruise now.

1,970 air horns? That's gonna be loud...... Where to put them all....... :rotf:

Funny Greekdog.

Actually I wanted to hear what they sounded like and did a jumper cables hook up to my car battery about 9pm one night. Neighbors came out of their houses to see what made that sound. I think I finally found a noise maker that will pierce the silence ( brain dead) of a Lexus and Escalade.

VentureFar.