IGNORED

Planning to ride

Mosbys Ride

The group I ride with is looking to ride to Portland Maine in June. We want to go to Williamsport Pa and to Coopers Town NY then on to Portland. We don't like interstates and enjoy the twisties. So I'm seeking routes from northern Va. from those of you that have the states colored in along our desired route. Also additional must see sites will be appreciated.

• 11 months later...

I'm planning a trip from MD to niagara falls and then across to maine the week of July 13th thru 17th. Looking for any suggested routes to take and routes to avoid, also looking for suggestions on sights to see along the way. Any response would be greatly appriciated.

My problem is that I couldnt tell you the roads I rode last year, much less roads I rode years ago out east before I got addicted to the western states... I can tell you this, the Fingerlakes area in NY is awesome riding and the Glen Curtis Museum is a gear head paradise!! If I remember correctly, the big sign out front said it was an aviation museum but I knew he was deeply involved in motorcycle development, stopped and check it out - IT IS AMAZING - if your into bikes - dont miss it. Lake Placid is awesome riding too, if you ask around a little, there is a route that goes up the back of the mountain they used for the skiing events during the Olympics - ride it carefully, I watched a guy on a BMW Dresser roll his bike side ways down the mountain!!

The back roads of Vermont and New Hampshire are awesome.. One of my favorite camping spots I found was just down the road from this place called "Santa's Village" in New Hampshire.. Best back roads in New England with real old single lane covered bridges and all that.. Bar Harbor in Maine was unforgettable, especially if you do like getting back away from ick-spressway type stuff.. LOTS OF OLD MARITIME LIFE IN THAT AREA, really cool old boats, fishing nets hanging all over, lobster pots laying around and people with funny accents who look like they could do battle with Moby Dick anytime!! You will find some pretty nice twisties in this area, awesome food and GREAT FOLKS too!!

If you decide to go up into Canada, the ride going up into Novia Scotia is FANTASTIC,, not so much for its twisties like the Dragon or other mountainous areas,, more for vast forested areas that makes ya think a moose could walk out anytime. The tides of the Bay of Fundy are unreal,, to me they rival the Grand Canyon in how amazing they are!! Last time I was out there I went clam digging along the Bay of Fundy.. It wasnt until after I had cooked and ate the ones I found that I noticed a sign that said the clams in that area had some kind of deadly poison (seems like it was called "Red something") in them with no known cure - if ya decide to go clam digging - check around before ya eat em.. They are fun to dig though..

Rode up into Nova Scotia to this place known for having really really warm water.. Cant remember the name of the place.. It was ocean water and it was as warm as a bath tub!!

To my recollection, the farther away from the Appalacian Mountains I got while heading east, the less and less "twistie" stuff I found. Gorgeous rolling old farm lands and orchards, really cool old buildings, lots of dense maple forests to camp in and some great people along the trail but nothing really twistie like places known for them like the Dragon or 16A in the Badlands..

Hope this madness helped somehow, you folks be careful out there and HAVE FUN!! :thumbsup:

Puc