IGNORED

Cooking Bull Balls

Ventureless

Ok so my buddy has a SB party each year. He makes food and finds beer indigenous to the area of the 2 teams playing. I decided to surprise them with some Rocky Mountain Oysters (or by the name I like better, Montana Tendergoin:rotf:). Well I have eaten them, but never cooked them. Got them from the butcher yesterday and decided to try cooking one yesterday. The membranes were already off so I soaked them in cold salt and sugar water for about an hour. Then I drained the water and rinsed. I then boiled them in more salt water with a touch of white vinegar for about 10 minutes. Then pull them out and place in cold water to cool back down. Sliced a little more than 1/4 inch thick. Then sauted in butter, sweet ginger garlic, diced onions, and a touch of oil.

Well they turned out all right, but more irony tasting and tougher than I have had in the past. So does anybody here have any tips for cooking other than frying them? I was going to try taking 2 whole ones and after boiling, toss them on the grill and then slicing and serving with some sort of sauce.

Back on the ranch during branding, the cook just peeled the membrane, halved 'em, then dredged in flour, salt, pepper with a touch of garlic. Fried in bacon grease over an open fire.

And as the Campbell folks said "um,um, good". Of course, after fighting calves all day, anything would taste good.

:15_8_211[1]:

Back on the ranch during branding, the cook just peeled the membrane, halved 'em, then dredged in flour, salt, pepper with a touch of garlic. Fried in bacon grease over an open fire.

And as the Campbell folks said "um,um, good". Of course, after fighting calves all day, anything would taste good.

:15_8_211[1]:

Trying to cook them without having to fry them.

From ehow.com

Preparation

• 1Cut the muscle off two pounds of bull testicles with a very sharp knife and remove the skin.

• 2Mix 1/2 cup sugar and 3/4 cup kosher salt and dissolve the mixture in eight cups of water. Add the rocky mountain oysters. Make sure there is enough water to cover the oysters completely.

• Cover your container and let set for one hour. Drain the water, then use cold water to rinse the oysters.

• 4Rinse the bowl thoroughly. Put the oysters back into the bowl and fill with enough milk to completely cover them again. Cover your container again and let set for another hour on the counter.

• 5Drain and rinse the oysters very well under cool water. Drawing out the blood is very important and the previous steps do just that. The milk assists in making the oysters less salty.

Cook

• 6Place rocky mountain oysters in a large pot to be cooked. Add enough water to completely cover the oysters and one heaping teaspoon of white vinegar.

• 7Boil, reducing heat immediately after boil starts and simmer for six minutes.
    Bring to a boil, reducing the heat quickly after boil starts. Cook on low heat, simmering, for six minutes.

• 8Drain the water and vinegar and drop the cooked rocky mountain oysters in a big bowl of ice-cold water. Let cool completely.

• 9Cut oysters in 1/3-inch ovals. Dust each oval with salt and pepper to taste on each side.

• 10Pour one cup of milk into a shallow bowl. In two separate shallow bowls mix in hot sauce to taste and one cup of dry red wine in one and in the other mix 1/4 cup of cornmeal, one cup all-purpose flour and garlic powder to taste.

• 11Quickly, roll each of the oysters slices in the flour mixture, then milk, then flour again, then plunge into red wine mixture. For a thicker crust, repeat, if desired.

• 12Use hot peanut oil to fry the oysters until golden brown. Be very cautious as you do not want to overcook the oysters as this will make them tougher. Serve hot.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/how_2071705_cook-rocky-mountain-oysters.html#ixzz2sBec7pdQ

From ehow.com

Preparation

• 1Cut the muscle off two pounds of bull testicles with a very sharp knife and remove the skin.
    • 2Mix 1/2 cup sugar and 3/4 cup kosher salt and dissolve the mixture in eight cups of water. Add the rocky mountain oysters. Make sure there is enough water to cover the oysters completely.
    • Cover your container and let set for one hour. Drain the water, then use cold water to rinse the oysters.
    • 4Rinse the bowl thoroughly. Put the oysters back into the bowl and fill with enough milk to completely cover them again. Cover your container again and let set for another hour on the counter.
    • 5Drain and rinse the oysters very well under cool water. Drawing out the blood is very important and the previous steps do just that. The milk assists in making the oysters less salty.

Cook

• 6Place rocky mountain oysters in a large pot to be cooked. Add enough water to completely cover the oysters and one heaping teaspoon of white vinegar.
  • 7Boil, reducing heat immediately after boil starts and simmer for six minutes.
    Bring to a boil, reducing the heat quickly after boil starts. Cook on low heat, simmering, for six minutes.
  • 8Drain the water and vinegar and drop the cooked rocky mountain oysters in a big bowl of ice-cold water. Let cool completely.
  • 9Cut oysters in 1/3-inch ovals. Dust each oval with salt and pepper to taste on each side.
  • 10Pour one cup of milk into a shallow bowl. In two separate shallow bowls mix in hot sauce to taste and one cup of dry red wine in one and in the other mix 1/4 cup of cornmeal, one cup all-purpose flour and garlic powder to taste.
  • 11Quickly, roll each of the oysters slices in the flour mixture, then milk, then flour again, then plunge into red wine mixture. For a thicker crust, repeat, if desired.
  • 12Use hot peanut oil to fry the oysters until golden brown. Be very cautious as you do not want to overcook the oysters as this will make them tougher. Serve hot.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/how_2071705_cook-rocky-mountain-oysters.html#ixzz2sBec7pdQ

Then drink the red wine mixture and throw the oysters out the back door....:whistling:

They actually turned out good for game day. I soaked them in the salt/sugar water again for about an hour. Got my water boiling and added a couple bay leaves, lemon juice, and cayenne pepper. Dropped them in for about 7 minutes and pulled them out and dropped in cold water to cool. Then I cut each one into about 5 pieces. Doused them with lemon juice and coated them with salt and pepper and sweet ginger garlic spice. Then we grilled them for about 15 minutes. I thought they tasted a little like bologna. Others said liver but not as pungent. Everyone at the party ate them except the one lady who doesn't eat meat. My 7 year old son tore them up. He was asking if we could have them again.

Brings back a memory of a bachelor party many years ago. My ex's family were a bunch of farmers - highly educated farmers (almost all had masters degrees) - but farmers none-the-less.

One of the BIL's was getting married and we had a bachelor party at his house (bad idea #1) while his fiance' went and hung out at her mother's. Much beer was consumed, cigars were smoked, poker played, pron playing on the TV. Typical stuff.

I was in charge of cooking. One of the siblings brought RM oysters from a calf they had castrated on their farm. I peeled the skin, sliced, dredged, fried. Nothing special but they were eaten. Skins were dropped down the garbage disposal (bad idea #2).

The fiance and her mother opened the door at 8:00 am the next morning (really bad idea #3). Pron was still running on the TV, beer cans and liquor bottles were everywhere, guys were randomly passed out everywhere (including the front door - he was hit by the door and just rolled over to allow it to be opened). Needless to say, the fiance and mother were shocked! Shocked! I tell you. (What the hell did they expect?)

Anyhoo, I was the least hung over and started to clean. Tried to grind up the ball skins in the disposal. (bad idea #4) Not going to happen. Like trying to grind up a bag of rubber bands. Had to reach my paw into the garbage disposal and pull the pieces/parts out while the mother was standing there. She was expecting an explanation. None was given.

It made for good stories. They have been married 25+ years now. Me and his sister? Not so much.

RR

Brings back a memory of a bachelor party many years ago. My ex's family were a bunch of farmers - highly educated farmers (almost all had masters degrees) - but farmers none-the-less.

One of the BIL's was getting married and we had a bachelor party at his house (bad idea #1) while his fiance' went and hung out at her mother's. Much beer was consumed, cigars were smoked, poker played, pron playing on the TV. Typical stuff.

I was in charge of cooking. One of the siblings brought RM oysters from a calf they had castrated on their farm. I peeled the skin, sliced, dredged, fried. Nothing special but they were eaten. Skins were dropped down the garbage disposal (bad idea #2).

The fiance and her mother opened the door at 8:00 am the next morning (really bad idea #3). Pron was still running on the TV, beer cans and liquor bottles were everywhere, guys were randomly passed out everywhere (including the front door - he was hit by the door and just rolled over to allow it to be opened). Needless to say, the fiance and mother were shocked! Shocked! I tell you. (What the hell did they expect?)

Anyhoo, I was the least hung over and started to clean. Tried to grind up the ball skins in the disposal. (bad idea #4) Not going to happen. Like trying to grind up a bag of rubber bands. Had to reach my paw into the garbage disposal and pull the pieces/parts out while the mother was standing there. She was expecting an explanation. None was given.

It made for good stories. They have been married 25+ years now. Me and his sister? Not so much.

RR

Not what I expected when you start a comment on a thread about eating balls with "brings back memories of a bachelor party"!!!!!!!!:rotf: