IGNORED

Bad Fuel Pump Diagnosis

I recently purchased a 2005 RSTD w/ 36,000 miles. The first few weeks I had the bike when I went to start it in cold or hot weather it would fire right up.

The last few days I have noticed that when I go to start the bike either when cold w/ full choke or hot it now turns over 3-4 times, I'll release the starter button, press it again and it turns over 1-2 more times before it finally fires up. When the bikes does start it runs just fine.

This morning I rode across town and shut the bike off for about 5 minutes. When I went to start it the same thing happen with turning over 3-4 times and no start. I then turned the key off and on 3 times and when I hit the starter it fired right up.

I'm wondering if this could be a sign that the fuel pump is going out.

Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Guest tx2sturgis

Listen for the tell-tale sound of rapid clicking for a few seconds when you first turn the key on.

If you havent noticed it, it should activate when the bike has had time to sit unridden for a day or two.

other way of testing sooner is to turn the fuel petcock off and then trying to start the bike. That will draw fuel from the carbs. If the bike starts, run it for a few minutes then shut the bike off, open the fuel petcock and then turn the key to the start position - you should hear ticking.

Have you sync'd the carbs since you got the bike? Also check the air filters.

other way of testing sooner is to turn the fuel petcock off and then trying to start the bike. That will draw fuel from the carbs. If the bike starts, run it for a few minutes then shut the bike off, open the fuel petcock and then turn the key to the start position - you should hear ticking.

Have you sync'd the carbs since you got the bike? Also check the air filters.

Ok, I just went out and tried this and I could definitely hear the ticking when I turned the key on. It started out pretty rapid and then slowed down.

If you recently purchased it do you know the service history? When were the plugs last changed? When was the fuel filter changed? Check and do the simple stuff first.

The previous owner said he had all the service done at the dealership he bought the bike from. I called the service department to confirm and they said he brought it in for every service on schedule and that he most recently had it in there at 35,000 miles. I purchase it with 36,500 miles. I will get the fuel filter replaced.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a reputable parts supplier for these bikes? My dealership wants $30.00 for the fuel filter…just seems a little steep to me.

OR would a universal fuel filter be acceptable?

Edited by jfroman

Method of removing the fuel filter

posted by SleeperHawk in this thread http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11035 Page 219 of the tech forum

Why do you guys find the fuel filter hard to change?

1. Take the seat off

2. Remove battery cover (both sides).

3. Remove the plug wires from the cover in front of the filter.

4. Slide out the front cover to the right side of bike

5. Slide the boot holding the fuel filter to left side of bike

6. Remove hose from the top of filter

7. Filter will now drop below bracket and pull filter to the right side of bike

8. Remove bottom hose

9. reverse the process

here are some of the part numbers for other fuel filters that work

Wix 3304

NAPA 3011

Purolator F 100 24

AutoZone FF3330 (luber-finer G478) (has a metal body)

NAPA Gold 3007 (has a metal body)

takes about 30 minutes.

Thanks again everyone. I have the fuel filter replaced and the bike put back together. I have started it a few times in the garage and it has fired right up. I will ride it over the next few days and let you know if my issue is fixed.

I went to NAPA and they had a filter that was the same height just not the same diameter as the OEM body. It was part # 18-7830 and was $8.97 out the door.

You are correct, you guys have saved me a lot more than $12!!

Jay We hope you decide to make your membership here permanent,not just because we saved you money but also because you find as we have that there is a terrific fellowship here and some genuine caring even tho many of us have never met face to face, and may never do so. Many of us no longer ride Royal Star's yet we continue to hang out here. The bikes brought us together but we stay together because of each other.

Ok. We had some much needed rain in the Central Valley yesterday but I was able to get out today and ride the bike around town. Every time I hit the starter switch the bike came to life with no effort at all. Replacing the fuel filter got it fixed. Thanks again for all the advice, I appreciate it.