IGNORED

Movie review-"Lone Survivor".....

DragonRider

This was an exceptional movie, I was a little leery about seeing it at first and wasn't sure if Charlene would like it, but we both loved it, one of the most realistic war movies I have ever seen. It was gritty, and action packed. The roles were played very well and the action once it started was endless, it has been a long time since I have been to a movie that affected me the way this one did. The emotions ran high and really kicked in at the end. I give this movie 5 stars, I might even go back and see it again to see if I missed anything. It really gives one a true sense of what our military and especially our Special Forces and Navy Seals go through during training and in combat. I read that the families of the Seals who died in this action approved and actually viewed the premiere and thought highly of how it portrayed their family members. Even if your not a Mark Walhberg fan, you gotta see this movie, and take plenty of tissue cause your gonna need it.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I saw an interiview with the lone suvivor. He gave a first hand experience of what happened and the movie was just like he said it happened. The Navy Seals and Special Ops guys are a special breed. If you want to see another account of a Navy Seals mission go to you tube and type in Jessica Buchanan. She was hijacked by Somila pirates and spent three months in the desert until rescued by Navy Seals. Her account will send chills down your spine. It is the actual inteview that was on 60 minutes. The movie was excellent but I left pissed off at the US Military. There should have been some higher up heads of military kicked out of the military. They should have never let those guys to die alone. At the end of the movie they showed the awsome air power the US has but where was it at when the seals needed it. The military could have gone in and when they left there wouldn't have been a leaf left on a tree. And last, it's a disgrace to send guys into a mission and for them to be afraid to kill someone if needed for fear of going to prison when they get home. I thougt after viet nam we had learned our lession but obviously we didn't. God Bless the Navy Seals.

I agree with you 150% about the way they held back the other units, it would have made a big difference, but thats our government in action. I will check out the Jessica Buchanan kidnapping.

I saw an interiview with the lone suvivor. He gave a first hand experience of what happened and the movie was just like he said it happened. The Navy Seals and Special Ops guys are a special breed. If you want to see another account of a Navy Seals mission go to you tube and type in Jessica Buchanan. She was hijacked by Somila pirates and spent three months in the desert until rescued by Navy Seals. Her account will send chills down your spine. It is the actual inteview that was on 60 minutes. The movie was excellent but I left pissed off at the US Military. There should have been some higher up heads of military kicked out of the military. They should have never let those guys to die alone. At the end of the movie they showed the awsome air power the US has but where was it at when the seals needed it. The military could have gone in and when they left there wouldn't have been a leaf left on a tree. And last, it's a disgrace to send guys into a mission and for them to be afraid to kill someone if needed for fear of going to prison when they get home. I thougt after viet nam we had learned our lession but obviously we didn't. God Bless the Navy Seals.

I thougt after viet nam we had learned our lession but obviously we didn't. God Bless the Navy Seals.

Sorry guy, but I must disagree with this comment. I think we learned our lessons well. No matter how many folks are shooting at us, if the brass tells us it was a friendly village, it' was a friendly village. And that was friendly fire we are receiving...... My only gripe was that we could not return same same......

:15_8_211[1]:

Sorry guy, but I must disagree with this comment. I think we learned our lessons well. No matter how many folks are shooting at us, if the brass tells us it was a friendly village, it' was a friendly village. And that was friendly fire we are receiving...... My only gripe was that we could not return same same......

If somebody is firing at me ... that ain't friendly ! :Laugh:

I bought the book when it first came out, and it was an absolute phenomenal read. Marcus Lutrell wrote it as if you were there with him. I have yet to see the movie, but from all accounts its should live up to the hype. I am not one of those " the book was better" guys, but I will say again, the book is outstanding...

Read the book last summer and loved it! Just got back from seeing the movie and it is awesome!There are a lot of Marcus Luttrell videos on youtube, Having never been in the military I had no idea what those guys go through to become a seal, to say the least it is awe inspiring!

There ain't no such animal as "friendly fire", I don't care who you are, , , if you are shooting at me, , ,I'm shooting back, , , , , ,

As LEO, got on riot duty for a Iranian demonstration, , , , Intelligence (used lightly) told us they had stockpiled bricks and molotov cocktails to throw, , , ,Said we could not shoot unless someone had a gun, , , I told them if one of them threw a brick or cocktail at me, , ,I was shooting cause i would be the same dead if they hit me in head with brick, burned me , or shot me, , , , I WAS shootin them.

They put my butt in the communications truck, , , ,

There ain't no such animal as "friendly fire", I don't care who you are, , , if you are shooting at me, , ,I'm shooting back, , , , , ,

As LEO, got on riot duty for a Iranian demonstration, , , , Intelligence (used lightly) told us they had stockpiled bricks and molotov cocktails to throw, , , ,Said we could not shoot unless someone had a gun, , , I told them if one of them threw a brick or cocktail at me, , ,I was shooting cause i would be the same dead if they hit me in head with brick, burned me , or shot me, , , , I WAS shootin them.

They put my butt in the communications truck, , , ,

Yah! Back in the 60's I was a peace loving Hippy who was anti war, anti killing until I went in the service. It's amazing how a combat situation can change your viewpoints in an instant! Basic survival kicks in with an adrenaline rush and yes, you WILL shoot back with a vengeance...

Yah! Back in the 60's I was a peace loving Hippy who was anti war, anti killing until I went in the service. It's amazing how a combat situation can change your viewpoints in an instant! Basic survival kicks in with an adrenaline rush and yes, you WILL shoot back with a vengeance...

Never had the opportunity to try a vengeance. My personal favorite was a 12 gauge with Double 00. I think they call them street sweepers now-a-day.....:rotfl: :rotfl:

well said

My brother was 20 year U.S.Army. He spent time helping to develop then use some pretty nifty satellite and microwave communication equipment. The closest hint to what he actually did from time to time was him telling me he was trading his ID card for diplomatic credentials for a trip to "provide communication support" for elections in the Philippines.

He will still tell you that military intelligence is a contradiction in terms.

Don and I went to see it the other night and it was a very "edge of your seat" type of movie. I am not usually very anxious to see a "war" movie, but based on everyone's opinion here and other reviews, I told Don I would go with him to see it.

Have to say I was very glad we went and I also intend to get the book (check it out at the local library).

A couple of things that bothered me about this movie was how they sustained their injuries. It was not from the gunfire (for some reason I can handle that) but the other ways they were injured. I won't give it away so as not to ruin it for others that haven't seen the film. But I give kudos to the Special Effects crew. They should get an Oscar for this one. I don't think they were nominated, but I haven't seen anything else that should beat the work on this film. The visual and audio special effects were AWESOME! Pretty gruesome for me. I actually had to look away a few times.

The other thing that bothered me about this movie is that they were stationed at Bagram Air Base...which is where my son, Jason, was at when he was there. For some reason, that really bothered me. It did, however, give me a chance to SEE where he had been, the living conditions, the airstrips, etc. I will assume they made it very accurate, if they didn't actually film there. Not sure about that point. Maybe it's just that I'm a little emotional when it comes to the safety of my children. I realize it was his job to be there...but it was an awful time for me when he was. Again, maybe it's just coming from a "mothers" point of view.

Don and I highly recommend this movie.

I saw the movie in opening night....just couldn't wait another minute.

It ranked right up there with saving Private Ryan in my opinion.

My time in the Navy gave me huge respect for what these kids go through and that made me a blubbering mess throughout the entire 2 hours, so I think I need to see it again to figure out what I missed.

For those that have seen it, watch some of the post release interviews with Marcus....his injuries were word than the movie could depict.

I spent 3 years in the Army as an Infantry MP, we had some rough times and that taught me how much I loved and relied on my squad mates and my fellow soldiers. I in no way compare my experience with any seasoned combat veteran, only that I have some degree of understanding.

I hunt with Brad Paulsen who received a Bronze Star for the fight in Somalia, and I can tell you that our soldiers go to hell and back in harms way. The rules of engagement are not fair and your split second decisions will last you a lifetime. I prey for all my fellow soldiers every day, can't take that out of me.

To all that have served I salute you!