IGNORED

new 06 RSTD owner with ?s

bought my bike right after x-mas. due to polar vortex and flood this weekend, I finally got my bike out today for a small ride and to really start to examine it. I have some questions I need you guys to answer for me.

1. what's the cable going to the rear hub?

2. looks like the tank has to be pulled to change the plugs?

3. Removing side covers. Do you remove the 2 bolts and just pull? It felt real snug when I tried it so I stopped?

4. Where are the fuses and how do you get to them.

5. Is the clutch hydraulic? any maintenance?

6. These pipes are super quiet. If any of you have RK pipes installed, how much diff is there. I don't want loud, just more than stock.

7. Anyone polished the backs of their passenger pegs to get a better shine.

8. How hard is rear wheel removal? Any pics anywhere.

thanks.

1. what's the cable going to the rear hub?
That is the speed o sensor, it is a Doppler pick up that counts the teeth on the rear gears as they go by.

2. looks like the tank has to be pulled to change the plugs?
I have heard some say they can change the plugs without pulling the tank all the way off, they loosen it and block it up, me I always pull the tank just to be sure I do not hit it with a tool. You also have to remove the "dog bones" to get to the front plugs. Make sure you blow out the well the plugs sit in to remove any collected debris before you remove the plugs.

3. Removing side covers. Do you remove the 2 bolts and just pull? It felt real snug when I tried it so I stopped?
Only have to remove the rear screw, the front is held in place by a rubber "tit" that sticks thru a hole in the cover, sometimes they are tight, just a little pressure and wiggling should do the trick.

4. Where are the fuses and how do you get to them.
Some fuses are under the left side cover some inside the right front lower cowling.

5. Is the clutch hydraulic? any maintenance?
Clutch is hydraulic, no adjustment, maintenance consists of changing the fluid out when ever it gets dark. Of course eventually you will need to change the spring or the friction plates as they do get worn thru normal operation.

6. These pipes are super quiet. If any of you have RK pipes installed, how much diff is there. I don't want loud, just more than stock.
Not sure how loud the RK pipes are, but I have heard a lot of Ventures with after market pipes and as long as the baffles are still intact they not overly loud unless you get on them. That being said I have a set of used BUBs on the classified section under Venture parts, I just put new baffles with new packing in them, just decided to keep my Krome Werks pipes instead of changing them.

7. Anyone polished the backs of their passenger pegs to get a better shine.
It has been done with very good results, looks like chrome if done properly.

8. How hard is rear wheel removal? Any pics anywhere.
Here is a link to the Tech Section here on VR that should tell you everything you need to know.http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=515 Edited by M61A1MECH

Only thing I can add to what Steve said is a couple of things I had to kind of learn the hard way. On the left side sort of under the fuse block and to the rear is a black maybe 2"x2" block way under. Hard to see. But it is the starter realy I think. It also houses the MAIN fuse for the bike. If for some reason you go out and you get nothing, no click no horn nothing. Look to this fuse. Mine (on an RSV) corroded out and shorted (actually open circuit) and it kills all power. It can throw you for a loop if your not looking or aware of its and where its at. Also the bolts that hold those side covers on. I have been told that the forward ones which are cosmetic and just mount to the cover can be used for the foot shifter when the bolt falls out.

Search you tube or some videoas for like venture with road king mufflers or venture bubs. Something like that and youll be able to kind of get an idea of what they sound like. Unfortunatly the guys making the vids think your going to ride with your head stuck in the muffler I guess because thats where most take the film from so thats what you hear. The bubs Steve just had new packings put in are a good choice if you want a bit more than the RK muffs. I switch back and forth from the OEM to my RK slash cuts.

Rear wheel removal:

Obviously you have to get it up in the air. I have a Harbor Freight lift that works very well though you do need to shim it with 2 x 4 s or 4 hockey pucs to get the bike to set level. Be sure to use tie downs to hold the bike steady. I have also used the lift to sore the bike and be able to move it around or stuff it in a corner out of the way.

When its up in the air remove the bags(4 bolts per side very easy).Remove rear brake caliper from mount ( 2 bolts) and wire it up out of the way. While there check rear brake pads as these bikes are prone to wear the rear pads out before the fronts. They are also prone to wear the inside pad quicker then the outside and yes if it's not too much difference you can swap them. Take a picture with your cell phone or digi camera of where the washer goes,you will forget and have to come look it up. If you put it back wrong the wheel will bind in the brake.

Loosen the pinch bolt and remove the axle nut and pull the axle to the right. The wheel is splined to the hub so it should just hang there. Remove the brake bracket and keep track of the washer that goes between the bracket and the swing arm. Pull the wheel to the right and lower it to the ground. You can either deflate the tire or raise the jack (or both) to get the wheel out from under the fender. Grease the splines as they will probably be dry. Reassembly is the reverse.

Its really easy to do this and worth knowing at tire change time as it will save you a ton of money when only have to take the wheel in for them to put the new tire on.

If you want to get into it there are some other pieces that should greased as well while you have the wheel off but you can check the tech section out for that stuff.

If you are New to Royal Stars and the Yamaha V4,this is very reliable motor and motorcycle that needs very little attention to run thousands of miles in style and comfort.Everything that you need to know is here on this website or in the minds of the members.Enjoy your time here and the association. Great people and a great site.

Love my 06

As for what Pegasus mentioned about the brakes

My 06 had the brake problem

The following took care of that

Run the fluid a little low ( believe me it works)

What happens is the fluid expands due to heat and puts pressure on the brake pads

This causes them to drag also not allowing them to release all the way

the inside pad will wear out first and uneven kinda like a wedge from thick to thin

Seven years with out a problem just run the fluid a little low leaving room for expansion

I never take the tank off to change the plugs

If you do check the fuel line for cracks bike is 7 years old

Ride it and have some fun

Rick Butler on this website can rebuild your seat for you also if it becomes an issue.I had him do mine and loved it.

As for changing spark plugs I never removed the tank but you do have to remove the dog bones.

Dave what a great idea, I never thought of heat expansion.That would sure fix it.

inside pad will wear out first and uneven kinda like a wedge from thick to thin

Ride it and have some fun

Thats the rear pads he's talking about. Its a 5 minute job to swap the inside pad with the outside pad. That will even out the wear.

The stock seat was not good for me

After about 50 miles I was feeling it

I bought a Mustang seat and never looked back

Just posting because one was just put in the classifieds for a good price

Ride Safe

the PO had already installed a mustang seat.