IGNORED

Need an opinion on this Venture..

cowpuc

Yea I'm kind of skeptical that it was "running when traded in". Whey wouldnt you hook a battery charger to it and get it fired up? Is your service dept that inept that a mechaninc back there cant find and change a battery on a bike? I mean heck it aint like you cant find it on the intronet. :confused24:

I dont know what or how much of a project so I kind of skipped thru some of that stuff. My son has of and on thought he would like to get a bike and learn to ride. Not sure a Venture is a good first bike, but if he learned on it he probably wouldnt have to look to upgrade to bigger for some time. Dont know if thats the style of bike he is interested in though and with another grandchild due very soon............ I think he best worry about groceries, electric diapers and work.

Guest tx2sturgis
Hey Mike

Always looking for the next "project".. do ALOT of "trails", backwoods camping and stuff riding beaters

Puc, you might want to look at my choice for that use:

Ural.

I see a few now and then on CL and ebay for under 10 grand...some are under 5 grand. The only ones I ever see that are less than 3 are really in bad shape. But for $7,000 to $10,000 you can get some really nice ones. $12,000 to $15,000 will get you a new one with a warranty.

Trail riding and camping are great with the Ural. They are easy-peasy to work on, and the 2wd models will take you almost anywhere a 4wd or a dirt bike will, and still carry 600 pounds. Snow? No problem. Mud on the trail? No problem. Loose gravel? Not an issue. Kid and pet friendly. Cant beat-em for pure fun.

Here's one close to you:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ural-Patrol-2011-ural-patrol-2-wd-in-woodland-green-free-shipping-within-300-mile-/161163321814?forcerrptr=true&hash=item25861521d6&item=161163321814&pt=US_motorcycles

[ame]

[/ame]

Edited by tx2sturgis

Well, I answered the question of whether or not the reserve lite would go out on first bid,, nope... Oh well, worth a try.. Agreeing totally with you DJ - makes no sense why they wouldnt stick a charger on it or for that matter, a new battery if its gonna make it a running bike.. Would be worth a lot more if it ran and was cleaned up...

DJ, if its your sons first bike I would encourage him to spend a little time on a small bike (even a little dirt bike - xr100) just to get the basics to be second nature, than take a good riders course.. My son grew up on dirtbikes, got his endorsement on an old 185 Suzuki trailbike,, he now climbs on my old Yam like nobodys business - big guy though, 6'2'' so the Yam fits him well...

Brian - YEA BUDDY, awesome video!! Been watching the Urals for a while!! Hey,, what kinda cruising speed would you say would your Ural be good with for all day road cruising?? Also, what kinda MPG would she see at that speed?? Also, does your ural have an engagement lever for the outer drive - so you dont have to run 2 wheel drive all the time?? I gotta say buddy - that does look like a LOT of my kind of fun!!

Thanks Guys!!

Puc

Edited by cowpuc

Guest tx2sturgis

Brian - YEA BUDDY, awesome video!! Been watching the Urals for a while!! Hey,, what kinda cruising speed would you say would your Ural be good with for all day road cruising?? Also, what kinda MPG would she see at that speed?? Also, does your ural have an engagement lever for the outer drive - so you dont have to run 2 wheel drive all the time?? I gotta say buddy - that does look like a LOT of my kind of fun!!

Thanks Guys!!

Puc

The Ural is not a touring bike...its not trying to be. It's for a slower, more enjoyable ride, on the country two-lanes. It's not for interstate warp drive.

Top speed is about 65 or so...but its happy at 55 or 60 all day. They get about 30 mpg...5 gallon tank plus a 2.5 gallon fuel can.

2WD is for loose traction like snow, sand, and mud. On dry pavement and hard-packed dirt, use 1WD...there is a lever for selecting either. It also has reverse and a parking brake.

Some reading you might like:

http://www.ridermagazine.com/style/motorcycle-sidecars-trikes-scooters/2012-ural-t-side-by-side-review.htm/

Thanks Brian, good read!! Just reading that article kinda makes me think of the "old" willies jeep - ww2 type - slow, easy, FUN.. I think it would be a BLAST to take one for the summer and crawl/camp/site see the back road mountain country out west!! Putting the wife in the "flying chair" would be priceless!!!!:rotf::rotf: Teaching her to put ME in it would even be better!!:cool10::cool10:

Cool stuff!

Puc

Yea, what DJ said.. :080402gudl_prv::080402gudl_prv:

Thanks Breezy!! If you are headed that way anyway and dont mind stoppin.. It appears that the address is 1910 E Cherry St, Jesup, GA 31546 and its at a car dealership called Nesmith Chevrolet.. Anything you could find out would be appreciated!! DONT worry about it if this doesnt work out though, their ebay auction ad leaves alot to be desired!!!

Thanks

Puc

Hey Puc,

That Ural in South Lyon, Mi is only about 20 minutes from me if you're interested I could put an eyeball on it for ya.

Hey,,,, another Michigander,, not necessary at this time BUT thanks Ragtop for the offer!! Sure looks like fun though dont it?? Be a blast crawling around in the woods on that puppy and than showing up at the blessing of the bikes all covered in mud!:stirthepot:

Thanks again for the offer!

Puc

I'd walk away from it. Just don't smell right. Only 700 miles? Who puts a drink holder and trunk tie downs on a bike with only 700 miles. Looks too weathered for something not ridden. It ain't right. and $6,200 for a 2001 is no bargain either.