IGNORED

1st Gen Brake Line Question

The junction block (on the 86) on my rear to front brake line is leaking. (This is the point where the bleeder line comes off.) There is a rubber cap on the bottom of it with a spring clip on it. With the cap off there is a black piece of rubber in the center and that is where it is leaking. With the cap on, it fills the cap and then leaks. Is this something that can be fixed or do I have to replace it? And is there a way to test a used one before putting it on the bike?

:confused24:

Todd, that "junction block" is called the metering valve by Yamaha.

I've never heard of a leak from it internally before, but it obviously can happen.

I don't think the rubber internals are available separately from the metering valve assembly, nor is the metering valve assembly available.

Since ordinarily, the metering valve seems to be trouble free, I would get a used one. Or delink the brakes, whereupon, the metering valve is not needed.

Thanks Kevin, I do have a metering valve that I pulled off of a parts bike. Do you know if there's any way to tell if its good before assembly? I'm about to start working on it now.

Edited by 86er

Todd,

Might not be what you want to hear, but I wouldn't screw around with it. Delink the brakes and forget about all that crap. I did it on both these 1st gens I have and I would NEVER go back to a linked setup again....:2cents:

I'll argue with the big guy!! I love the linked brakes. BUT I've never changed one of these systems.... Clean what you have carefully and it should work. Never had trouble with leaks there.

Hey Squid did you get a rotor?

I went to shop to look and Jeff had already answered with I got back on here. I'm still not sure what I got.......:think:

PM me if you need.

Edited by Yammer Dan

I'll argue with the big guy!! I love the linked brakes. BUT I've never changed one of these systems.... Clean what you have carefully and it should work. Never had trouble with leaks there.

Hey Squid did you get a rotor?

I went to shop to look and Jeff had already answered with I got back on here. I'm still not sure what I got.......:think:

PM me if you need.

Linked brakes are fantastic for the lesser experienced big bike riders.

Just sayin', if the shoe fits, wear it.

:backinmyday:

Gary

Hey Squid did you get a rotor? I did get a rotor :thumbsup2:

PM me if you need.

Here's my take on the linked brakes on a 30 year old machine. They dont give good enough stopping power if you really have to get into the binders. I ride the Ventures I have owned just like dirt bikes, down shift while stopping, heavy into both front and rear brakes when needing to stop in a hurry.

In a curve, if I'm a bit hot going into it and need to slow down a bit, just the rear brake is applied. I dont want to dive the front end as that could be BAD. I want control over the bike. I dont want it thinking for me, I am confident in my riding abilities to use both the brake systems independently of eachother.

The "Feel" I get with my brakes delinked is just what I want, I control how much front to rear I want. I understand your thinking on it, but for me, I dont want any bike in that much control over my actions....:2cents:

I understand all the controversy! And now that 4 of the greater minds are here!:

I had de-linked the brakes on my '86 and gone to the R1 calipers. Now that I have bought a "Brand-Used" '88 I am moving all of that to it. Including the forks from the '86 (The '88s look stupid with the EAD on the sides!) I am selling the '86 to a friend and it is his first big bike so I figure that stock is best for him.

I took the metering valve off of a parts bike I have and installed it. It seems to be working OK and holding the pressure. Knock on wood!

One other issue that I'm having is that if I accelerate hard, the bike goes flat at either 3500 or 4500 RPM depending how hard I'm accelerating. If I ease thru' it (as much as I can "ease thru' it"!), it's real smooth. Also, If I just cruise along at about 3000 RPM, it has a barely noticeable stutter, like one cylinder is kicking in and out. I have checked the diaphragms on the two back carbs and they look OK, but I haven't checked the front two yet. I have also changed the plugs, fuel filter and I've run a couple of cans of SeaFoam and one can of K100 through it.. :confused24: Any ideas? (I can't believe I asked that!)

(And I'm sure Gary wasn't calling me a less experienced rider!) :whistling:

Edited by 86er

(And I'm sure Gary wasn't calling me a less experienced rider!) :whistling:

Sounds like you prefer the delinked ones or you wouldn't be moving them to the 88.

I was just picking on the old guy from WV. If you are happy with linked brakes thats fine.

Like Squidly pointed out, I don't need 30 year old engineering determining my front/rear brake bias. It will require different forces under different conditions. One of the main problems I had with linked system is that no matter what, you are always applying front brakes, gravel and oil slicked intersections don't like that much.

Gary

Edited by dingy

Linked brakes are fantastic for the lesser experienced big bike riders.

Just sayin', if the shoe fits, wear it.

:backinmyday:

Gary

In your EAR!!

Brakes are what you learn to handle I don't care what you got you have to know what kind of pressure you can get away with.